Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Date for Leopard/MacBook Pro Update

I'm currently a high school student and will be attending UNC Chapel Hill in August. I'm in a situation where I can splurge on a MacBook Pro. My question is: Using Apple's previous releases as guide, when do you project Leopard and a possible update to the MacBook Pro line? I know Leopard is due "Spring 2007," but my college orientation in June 11-12 (I must have my laptop at orientation) and spring doesn't technically end until June 21. Orientation can be pushed back if necessary.

I would absolutely hate to drop over three grand on a MacBook Pro only to have a new version released a few weeks later, and even worse not have Leopard.

Thanks for your educated speculation and advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Date for Leopard/MacBook Pro Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Date for Leopard/MacBook Pro Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spring 07 is

In reply to: Date for Leopard/MacBook Pro Update

still the best guess on the release of Leopard.
As for a projected date for upgrades to the MacBook Pro line. Well you guess is as good as anyone else's. Apple has traditionally not released any information about upgrades to their lines, so any information would just be speculation.
The have also just upgraded a line without any fanfare or announcement, other than, "Oh, by the way, we..."

It's always a gamble waiting for the next best thing to arrive.

P

Collapse -
As Peter says...

In reply to: Spring 07 is

... hardware upgrades are done with little fanfare and occur frequently. It only seems like a long time to the next upgrade when you're chomping at the bit to get a new laptop. Wink After you buy, it will seem like they put out a new model every time you turn around.

I would be most concerned with the OS upgrade. Generally they offer a free upgrade to anyone who buys their mac within a month (30 days before) of the OS release. Thus it is safe to say that once you get a confirmed date for Leopard to be put out... buying the computer within that 30 day period will ensure the upgrade even if the macbook comes loaded with Tiger. If they release thee upgrade of iLife at the same time then so much the better. Don't forget, you will be eligible for a nice price discount in software and hardware anyway so take advantage of that if you can show proof of enrollment when you buy any apple products over the next few years!

I know it isn't easy but be patient!

grim Happy

Collapse -
Spring, probably.

In reply to: Date for Leopard/MacBook Pro Update

Apple almost always has a considerably large spring announcement. The last tray loading G3, sensor G5s, PowerMac G5 and Leopard were all released in Spring. I'd say that since we already know about Leopard something is bound for Springtime.

So I would think to wait until late may at the latest to get your MacBook Pro so you get it for your orientation (mine took almost 3 weeks to ship). Even if Leopard comes out after orientation you can always upgrade.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.