Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

Database update

by kelvin39 / November 1, 2010 7:24 PM PDT

My databases Anti virus and anti spyware on AVG Free 2011 are out of date but every time I try to update I get a "General Error" and the update does not take plce..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Database update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Database update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update log file
by Dusan_AVG / November 2, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Database update
Collapse -
Same problem here
by Fish / November 3, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Database update

I ended up doing uninstall and reinstall.That worked for me.
It was disturbing that near the end of reinstall avg wanted me to uninstall zonealarm to complete their install.I just kept xing that box out and finally got finnished.

Collapse -
Same issue here
by EZRIDER714 / November 3, 2010 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

as of today 11/3. says last update was Today (11/3/2010) at 11:25 A.M> But now it's out of date already? and trying to update gives general error message.

IF I have to uninstall I won't be re-installing AVG
I also use Zone Alarm, and have for years.

Collapse -
Re: Same issue here
by Ondrej_AVG / November 3, 2010 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issue here

Hello EZRIDER714 and Fish,

have you installed AVG in default location? (C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10) Or are you using computer (which producer?), where C:\ drive is not available?

Then please follow this FAQ.

Else please follow this How-To article at AVG free forums.

Thank you

Collapse -
Everything was good till
by EZRIDER714 / November 3, 2010 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Same issue here

this update
Have been using AVG for a number of years also
Updated to 2011 several weeks ago, it installed in default location I guess, have had no issues till this update?
Using Dell Have C:/
Just checked location it is (C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10) also have folders labeled AVG 8 and AVG 9
This sounds like a issue with the update that was put out yesterday, This is a large problem for, me had transactions to make this morning, but afraid to do so from this computer with outdated av protection.

Collapse -
File specified is not there
by EZRIDER714 / November 3, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Same issue here

log file avgupd.log is not located in the folder
The closest to that is avgupd.log.1, that is 10,001KB and last updated 9/23/2010
Is this the file that is mentioned in the instructions?

Collapse -
Re: File specified is not there
by Ondrej_AVG / November 3, 2010 8:44 PM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

Apologies for not mention the small change as the How-To article is still prepared just for AVG9, but AVG 2011 has different folders:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG10\Log\

Windows Vista/7
C:\ProgramData\AVG10\Log\

Please check these folders for mentioned "avgupd.log" and "avgupdm.log" (newly, needed as well).

Thank you

Collapse -
Yes I went to the AVG 10 folder
by EZRIDER714 / November 3, 2010 9:34 PM PDT

What I reported, is what is in that folder,
Had to go work will not have access to machine until this evening,
Hopefully some one can figure out what is going on.

Collapse -
Re: Yes I went to the AVG 10 folder
by Ondrej_AVG / November 3, 2010 10:54 PM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

Is there any "avgupdm.log" file? This file can reveal more information about general update error. Else not created "avgupd.log" can be caused by somehow corrupted AVG installation or blocked AVG processes from proper work. Please check this FAQ about needed processes, which have to be fully allowed in used firewall.

Thank you

Collapse -
Can not check for that file
by EZRIDER714 / November 3, 2010 11:49 PM PDT

till later this evening.
I made no changes to my system yesterday(11/3) Was and had been for sometime functioning correctly, and since I am not the only person with this issue, I would think that something in the update issued yesterday is at the root of the problem???
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Can not check for that file
by Ondrej_AVG / November 4, 2010 12:09 AM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

the reported general error is global name and does not specify the exact culprit of the fail, where we need the log for closer analysis.

Has been applied AVG program update to 10.0.1153? Is virus database correctly showed in the left-bottom corner? (now 424/3236) Is possible to start AVG Whole computer scan?

Thank you

Collapse -
Will do what you are asking for
by EZRIDER714 / November 4, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

But can not until approx 8:00PM EDT
I am sure though that "avgupd.log" is not in the folder specified,
I spent time this morning searching for it.
Don't know if that is a clue or not

Collapse -
also there is
by EZRIDER714 / November 4, 2010 7:05 AM PDT

NO folder Log in Folder Avg 10???
I can't find any log files in the Avg 10 folder

Collapse -
Info
by EZRIDER714 / November 4, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

in left bottom corner
10.0.1144 4243220

Collapse -
Whole computer scan completed
by EZRIDER714 / November 4, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

no infections found was the results.
I may be forced to uninstall then reinstall to be expediant

Collapse -
Re: Whole computer scan completed
by Ondrej_AVG / November 4, 2010 4:45 PM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

thank you for provided information.

There must be always log folder in AVG10 folder (as described in my previous post) and I have asked last time for 2 possible files "avgupd.log" and "avgupdm.log".

One option is to run repair installation with latest AVG installation file from this website - http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh - choose 32bit or 64bit package according to used version of operating system.

Thank you

Collapse -
Successful ending,I hope
by EZRIDER714 / November 4, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

Hello
No folder named "log" existed in the folder AVG 10
The files "avgupd.log" and "avgupdm.log" did not exist anywhere on my computer ( searched with Windows search function the entire computer??)

So I ran the repair installation at the location you provided.
It appears that the software is now up to date and functional
All indications are as such?
Last Update
11/5/10 6:03am
424/3238

However I also received a warning box, before the repair installation finished, to remove Zone Alarm, which I just clicked thru and ignored. This is totally unacceptable.
If AVG can't play nice with ZoneAlarm
one of them will be leaving and it doesn't begin with Z

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue, just wish I could have some understanding of what could have caused this issue, so that in the future it could possibly be prevented.
EZ

Collapse -
Re: successful ending, I hope
by Ondrej_AVG / November 5, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

these missing files points to a conflict, which corrupted AVG installation (are you using fully updated ZoneAlarm Firewall and its Toolbar, if needed). Any chance you have installed old version of ASK Toolbar?

Please run AVG update again, if successfully updated to 424/3239.

Are you using ZoneAlarm Firewall only, or whole security suite?

Thank you

Collapse -
No toolbars allowed
by EZRIDER714 / November 5, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

Don't use them, don't need them, do not allow them to install,or remove them immediately if "tricked" into allowing installation.

Will try to update later today when i get home. This morning it was indicated that no newer update was available?

Will look around for toolbars, but haven't installed any new software,other than AVG 2011, in the past several months.

Using free version of Zone Alarm firewall only

Thanks again for your help
EZ

Collapse -
Re: No toolbar allowed
by Ondrej_AVG / November 5, 2010 12:43 AM PDT

Hello EZRIDER714,

The update 424/3239 has been released 11/5/2010 1:00 PM CET.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?