Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Database driven website

Dear All,

I want to know how website will be made/languages used with following requirements :

I am roughly 1000 Page Static Website. Each page contains 1 main heading, sub heading, content and 2-3 photos per page

along with the main template of the website. I had made it by making 1000 static pages and its hectic to maintain. I want a

website which should be like this :

1. I want to place all 1000 articles in txt OR doc OR rtf ... OR any format... in 1 folder.
2. 2000-3000 Photos in another folder. (2-3 Photos per page)
3. Now when anyone clicks any of the thousand links in main template, a PHP code or any server side language code should

pick up an article from txt file and images from 'photos folder' and make a page which includes article ,images placed at

proper place.

Now how can i do it ? What languages will be involved ? How it will be made ? Kindly help me out !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Database driven website
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Database driven website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not one CMS (content management system) does that.

In reply to: Database driven website

This means you have to create such a system. As to languages, almost any can do what you ask so the real question is what language do you work in?

I don't want to upset you but why would anyone create yet another CMS?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. See List of Content Management Systems at link.

In reply to: Not one CMS (content management system) does that.

Collapse -
Reframed Question

In reply to: Not one CMS (content management system) does that.

1. Is there a way that i make a template and leave blank the content area and photos area. When user click on any link eg XYZ then any script/code ( javascript/PHP........) grabs the content from txt file and photos from photos folder and combine in a new page mywebsite.com/xyz.html or mywebsite.com/xyz.php. In this way i will not need to make thousand pages manually.

2. If this is possible then will google add such pages in search engine ?

Collapse -
Sure

In reply to: Reframed Question

But then you'll have to create all that. It seems like a WCMS would make this happen without you having to create all the code.

And just to be sure we're clear. You are asking if this is possible and not for folk here to write this?
Bob

Collapse -
explanation

In reply to: Sure

Basically i have a site of 1000 pages and i want to develop more but knowing that its too hectic i want an easy way out. I want to develop template,photos,content and do not want to develop all 1000 pages manually.

So what i need ? will WCMS do it for me ?

Collapse -
What you want is

In reply to: explanation

something like Wordpress. You get setup with it and then you do a one-time import of all your data. Once imported, you start adding content to Wordpress from within the interface.

I definitely don't recommend rendering pages from documents on the fly.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
(NT) Nice choice.

In reply to: What you want is

Collapse -
Answer
What's your server?

If your server is Apache, learn PHP & MySQL.
WAMP is a good place to start. This gives you the basic tools, now all you have to do is learn how they work together.
http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Collapse -
Answer
Maintaining website

As your website is Static You Can use Web Matrix by Microsoft.It is an open Source Platform where you can add content,photos ,video without knowing any coding.Everything is predesigned.You can use the Template feature which well suits your website.I think Your requirement will be fullfilled with it.You can download it for free and then in it Choose BlogEngine.NET Technlogy. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.