Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Database connections for Dreamweaver MX 2004

This is my first time developing anything. I can make pages just fine but my problem is connecting to databases from the pages. I'm trying to connect to Filemaker and Excel files. Which are located on seperate servers (PC & Mac). My site will be located on the PC server, but I'm presently developing it at my workstation. I have "The Complete Reference for Dreamweaver MX" from McGraw Hill and I'm not literate in its termonology. I try to follow what it says to establish a connection but it never works, let alone display the files in the Database Panel. I'm so lost! Help me I'm drowning!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Database connections for Dreamweaver MX 2004
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Database connections for Dreamweaver MX 2004
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Excel is a spreadsheet and Filemaker...

In reply to: Database connections for Dreamweaver MX 2004

And Filemaker, while a database is not a database server.

I can see that this is not going to be something that will work.

Have you considered a real database server such as MySQL?

Bob

Collapse -
Filemaker

In reply to: Excel is a spreadsheet and Filemaker...

We are running Filemaker server which is located on the Mac server. And I'm not familiar with My SQL or with anything as a matter of fact. This is my first time doing this.

Collapse -
FileMaker certainly is a server...

In reply to: Excel is a spreadsheet and Filemaker...

R. Proffitt wrote:

>>>
And Filemaker, while a database is not a database server.
<<<

This is completely erroneous and uninformed. FileMaker certainly is a database server and has been for some time.

You can use it as an ODBC datasource; you can easily get XML out of it; you can get Lasso to enable direct access via Dreamweaver; and you can get FX.php to get a nice library of PHP functions.

If all of these are too difficult, you can turn on "Instant Web Publishing" to present your database via web browser as-is.

Collapse -
Typically, Dreamweaver uses ODBC connection

Hi,

I have successfully created an ODBC connection to both MS Excel and Filemaker Pro documents.

Use the ODBC Data Source Administrator (Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)) to create a ODBC Excel connection to your Excel document.

Then from within DW, use the Sun JDBC-ODBC Driver from the Databases tab and setup a Connection Name (anything you want) and select URL's [odbc dsn] to be exactly what you entered in ODBC control panel.

You can do the same for Filemaker although there's probably a better driver out there than JDBC-ODBC bridge.

Does this help?

TTYL

Collapse -
Typically, Dreamweaver uses ODBC connection

In reply to: Typically, Dreamweaver uses ODBC connection

I have established the ODBC settings and I have run a test to see if the default homepage for filemaker works and was successful. But I don't know what to do to link to it and display all of my filemaker databases. Am I gonna have to have all the databases open to do that? I don't think I should. I also read that files are to be placed in the "Web Folder", which is confusing me, being that I'll be running the web site on a different server and was not intending to use the server that the filemaker databases are on. If we can e-mail info to each other I think that would help out.

Collapse -
Still need help

I still need help with this. I've gone ahead and left the databases open on the server and use the default homepage for FileMaker. I'm able to link to the homepage but I'm having trouble with layout requests for 2 databases. I get an error for these databases saying the the requested layout could not be found and cancels the request.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.