HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Data Transfer

by eastfort71 / December 15, 2004 1:55 AM PST

How to transfer data from one computer to another computer using net work cable (Category 5 wire cable). Both are running same version of windows O/S but not connected to network. Both are apart by 10 meters. Guess we can connect category cable 5 from one computer lan jack to another computer jack then
how to tranfer the data betwenn two computers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data Transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data Transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems you have the right setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Data Transfer

Share the drives and copy as you see fit.

Bob

Collapse -
Details
by eastfort71 / December 15, 2004 2:54 AM PST

I am not able to share the drives as I cannot see share the folder in properties. Can you please send step by step instruction how to tranfer data from folder A of Computer A to folder B of computer B. All I can do is to connect the two computers with a Catgory 5 wire directly (Lan Socket of Comp A to Lan socket of comp B)

Collapse -
No step by step. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Details

I don't recall the OS being noted, plus you may have installed a firewall which always makes this fail.

The short guide is this.

1. Assign each PC an IP address on each NIC such as 192.168.0.10 and the other PC 192.168.0.11

2. Share the directory of choice.

3. Use Windows "Find Computer" and put in the 192.168.1.10 or 11 of the other machine.

If it fails then you likely have a firewall installed.

Bob

Collapse -
Cross the cable
by Francisco / December 17, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Data Transfer

First, you have to "cross" the cable between the computers (TX to RX) The pin needs to be as: 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 4-4, 5-5, 6-2, 7-7, 8-8. If the cable is not cross, the computer never can be accesed.

If you have Windows ME, or XP, you can use network wizard for the configuration on the OS. Default, is the folder Sharing Files where you can transfer data from a PC to another one.

Paco

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.