General discussion

Data Recovery Software?!

Hi all, new to the board. Wonder what your experience has been using data recovery software? My scenario: Laptob was getting bogged down and running out of free disc space because of all the family pics we saved on it. Bought an external hard drive (Western Digital Passport) and moved all the pics to it. Then I (cue dramatic music) deleted the pictures from the laptop. Because the pictures were now ONLY on the external hard drive, of course it died. Specifically my computer gradually stopped recognizing it. Now when I plug it in to any computer, I can never see it as an available device. Very soon after, we bought a new laptop, and have not used the old once since. From my limited research, this sounds like a good candidate for data recovery software, because I haven't written much new data to it. I ordered the Pandora Recovery thumb drive device (should have asked my question here first, I know) Does this kind of software really work???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Data Recovery Software?!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Data Recovery Software?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I was going to...

Suggest Pandora as that's what I have been using and for hard drives, it's been excellent and surprisingly so. There has been some issue with recovering from a USB device lately where it won't see the files even if on it. I am still waiting for a response when I emailed them but have not heard anything yet.

You didn't have to order the USB stick from Pandora to use the software as it's free but then again, the upside is since there is no need to install Pandora with the USB, there is less chance of writing over your data which is a good thing and it does support their software. I may order the USB myself.

The only problem I see currently is if you do recover these pictures on the old laptop, make sure you are going to have enough space to recover them. Don't forget, you can choose to search for .bmp, jpeg, png, tiff, etc... files specifically so you don't waste space recovering EVERYTHING you don't want.

My experience with it has been great.

- Collapse -
Funny you should mention Pandora

I was searching the forum yesterday and found a posting about Pandora (maybe it was from you?) and how great it was. That made me feel better about my purchase, and my chances of getting my pictures back. Thanks! I saw that the software is free, but it was suggested to me that I use a USB to launch the program, rather than start up my computer and possible write over some data. I think I should have enough space, as I freed up quite a bit in the first place by deleting my pictures! Plus, I'm sure it will find other documents, pictures, music, that I don't need to rescue.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Tim

- Collapse -
Data Recovery the Free/Libre way!
- Collapse -
A couple of reasons

**Why pay when its Free Open Source?**

Pandora is free as well and the USB is pay only. There are a lot of open source programs or OS's that charge for the actual media, this is no different.

CNET Forums

Forum Info