Storage forum

General discussion

Data recovery from IDE laptop hard drive

I ripped IDE 2.5" hard drive out of my wrecked laptop(WinXP), bought a USB enclosre case, and hooked up with my new laptop(WinXP).But I couldn't access to that drive.

So I tried this method discribed in this post.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?threadID=354911&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Yes, it was successful and I could open the drive and saw files and documents intact.

So I selected all, copy them, and pasted it to another external hard drive.

Then the error occurred. After that I couldn't access to that drive any more. The error message is this.

Unable to mount 40 GB Filesystem

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup: magic: 0x43425355 size: 4096 usa_ofs: 834 usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
Actual VCN (0x8000037079c0300) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x1).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdc1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data recovery from IDE laptop hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data recovery from IDE laptop hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's only one of the handful of methods given.

In reply to: Data recovery from IDE laptop hard drive

I think you tried the LaCie Miracle. There are other titles and if all these fail the data recovery house is next.

"So I selected all, copy them, and pasted it to another external hard drive."

At that point we call it quits and dispose of the failed drive or try wiping it out and starting anew.
Bob

Collapse -
Cannot access to the drive.

In reply to: That's only one of the handful of methods given.

On ubuntu I keep getting the above error message and I couldn't open the drive.

I think the hard drive is corrupted or even the data was erased.

On Windows somehow the drive is recognized as Local Disk (H:) but not accessible. The error message says: H:\is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I tried some data recovery software, but no chance.

It seems now it's impossible to recover the data.

Still any chance?

Collapse -
But you wrote

In reply to: Cannot access to the drive.

"So I selected all, copy them, and pasted it to another external hard drive."

You never wrote that the paste failed so the story is left untold, incomplete. If the copy fails and the other items in the sticky are unfruitful then you move to data recovery houses such as www.drivesavers.com
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.