Question

data recovery from an ipod touch, 2nd generation

I deleted a few notes, that are ending up being very important. I had put all of my intended gifts for my grand neces and nephews, into it, and had inadvertantly erased it. I may have created a backup, but I can't seem to find one, in my external hardrive. Is there any software out there, that someone recommends, to help me recover the info, off of my ipod touch second generation. I have an imac running snow leopard wt an external hard drive, but I can't seem to locate this backup.

Thank you ....

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: data recovery from an ipod touch, 2nd generation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: data recovery from an ipod touch, 2nd generation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
All seem to be focused on music and video.

And beware the usual spammer replies with icare, tenorshare and a few others. That is, and it's sad that many of these prey on folk that ask this. I can't know which others spam and post "glowing reviews" or fakes but beware and don't pay unless the demo works.

It sounds like this is an annoying loss but one of the not as bad losses so take it as the lesson about what to trust a computer with as well as backups.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
iPod Backups

Everytime you attached your iPod to your iMac, presuming that you did do that, there is a distinct possibility that it performed a sync.
Part of the Sync process is to create a backup.
Backups would be stored in the User>Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync>Backup folder. (Where User indicates you name)

Another good thing about you running an iMac with an external drive is the possibility that you were using Time Machine to back up your Mac. Silly not to.

That said, it should be a simple matter to navigate to that User>Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync>Backup folder and then Enter Time Machine and move back in time to a point that you know that the Notes were on your iPod.
Select that folder on that date and Click the Restore button.
Now, back in iTunes, connect the iPod and choose Restore from Backup. From the list of backups, choose the one you just restored.

If the wind is in the right direction and you have your fingers crossed correctly, your iPod will now contain everything that was there on that date.

Two caveats:
1. That backup file is useless to you as it stands. It can only be used in a Restore process.
2. You have to have sync'd the iPod and/or have been using Time Machine

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info