Mac OS forum

General discussion

Data move from PC to Mac

by thekid67 / May 24, 2006 1:37 AM PDT

Hi,
I just went out last night and bought the new MacBook base model. After plunking down $1800+ once all the additional stuff was added in, I asked what I thought was a pretty straighforward question, which was,
"Now that I'm switching from PC to Mac, how do I get all my stuff (files) from one to the other?"
Seemed like a pretty reasonable question (again in light of the fact that I had just dropped $1800 in the space of about 4 1/2 minutes) but the guys refused to give me any ideas unless I signed up for the $99 ProCare plan. I passed.
So, all I really care about moving are my Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files, some digital camera pictures, and my roughly 3000 songs. My existing PC is an old Gateway with a CD/RW drive, an old-school USB port, and a Firewire port I installed for my Ipod.
Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data move from PC to Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data move from PC to Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few suggestions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

Where did you buy this MacBook from? I was not aware that Apple offered a $99 ProCare plan. That sounds like another company altogether. Maybe they could no offer advice because they had no advice to give. Anyway, moving on.
By far the fastest way to move all your required stuff from one machine to the other is via Ethernet. That was one connectivity protocol that you didn't mention. If the Gateway has ethernet, great. If not, go slap $15 at BestBuy and get one and install it.
With ethernet in both machines, all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable and a little patience. Connect the machines together, share the My Documents folder and put everything you want to move into it. Suck it off with the MacBook.
A slower way, but just as effective, is with a large capacity USB flash drive.
A really slow way is to make CD's over your stuff and transfer it that way.
Remember, the Office program that came with the Mac is only a TRIAL and will expire in 30 days from first use. You will need to purchase a real copy of Office 2004 for Mac to continue to use it. Student & Teacher edition is around $130

P

Collapse -
nice
by thekid67 / May 25, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: A few suggestions

Thanks, good suggestions. I actually found my way to the apple website yesterday, which has really good instructions on switching files in a number of different ways (ethernet, CD, etc.) I think the method I'll use is to use my 10GB Ipod as the transfer medium. Should have plenty of space for everything, and I won't have to buy anything new.

PLUS, I also saw that Apple provides a FREE in-store conversion service with the purchase of any new Apple computer. So these ********** basically lied to my face after I asked for their ideas / help. By the way, it was the Apple store in the Chestnut Hill mall outside Boston. Anyone in the area, I'd say go to the store in Cambridge at the Cambridge Galleria - those people were way more helpful.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: nice

Sorry to hear that this was a "real" Apple store that you had the problem with. I don't have one in my area but the two I have visited, Dallas and Tampa, have been very helpful.

The iPod is a good idea, I missed that one.

Good luck

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?