Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Data entry forms in Word 2002

by BobMaine / April 28, 2005 9:31 AM PDT

I would like to create a form (or template) that allows users to enter data. The form I am trying to model after has little grey boxes with five tiny cirlces in them (you can see these circles in the "show" of the show/hide mode) You can tab from one grey box to the next as you enter data skipping over the existing text. Can't figure out how to do this. I can send the form I am using as an example...


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data entry forms in Word 2002
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data entry forms in Word 2002
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Word forms
by Kees Bakker / April 28, 2005 9:12 PM PDT


It's not exactly clear to me what you want to do, but the Word help (search for Forms) should tell you what can be done and what can't be done.

You don't tell the context of your wish. Although making fill-in forms is possible in Word, it's not exactly it's speciality. There are lots of alternatives, like:
- Adobe Acrobat to make forms that you can fill in in Adobe Reader (a fillable pdf)
- MS Access to make a form including putting the data in a database for you to retrieve and use it in any form you like
- html-forms (need a server side function to do something with the data entered); there are many tools that help you design such forms
- dedicated software like (found it with google, but there should be much more around)

Can't advice anything without knowing the background at least. And even then I don't have any experience except using MS Access.

Have a good search, if you decide to go for other software than Word.


Collapse -
Word is not a data entry program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

Maybe a form filler and form printer. The difference is subtle and maybe you are asking something else.


Collapse -
by jOE jADLOWSKI / October 9, 2005 6:28 AM PDT


Collapse -
Wrong forum.
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2005 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: OMNIfORM-FILLER VER5.0


This MS Office forum is for MS Office Programs. That's clear. Try Computer Help or PC Applications & utilities.

I don't think much members will have experience with this program, but it might help to tell what your problem is.


Collapse -
JPG of the form
by BobMaine / April 28, 2005 9:58 PM PDT

I have placed a screen capture of the form here:

I assumed it was a Word document because it ended in .doc but maybe it is a PDF form... You can see the grey boxes with the little "o" in them. You are able to tab from one grey box to the next. I also noticed you can't do anything with it in Word like edit the text -- can't even drag over it and copy the text.

Just wondering how it was created.

Collapse -
That's not "data collection." But fill in forms....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: JPG of the form
Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by BobMaine / April 29, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

That's what I was looking for; sorry about the confusion.

Collapse -
That makes it clear.
by Kees Bakker / April 29, 2005 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: JPG of the form

Use the Forms toolbar to define one or more text-boxes. Each one displays as [oooo].
Then use Tools>Protect to get the behaviour you see (tab between fields and only can fill in those fields).

The first link you encounter in covers this.
Other links and this page itself cover variants.


Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?