Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

data encryption for laptops??

I've searched everywhere with a variety of words and can't find any reviews of programs to protect my laptop if it should be lost or stolen. Where do I look? I know that I saw some reviews somewhere last year.

I have a Toshiba Tecra A3-S611 running XP prof, Centrino. I also am running Norton Internet 2007 (but may soon change to Avast, Zone Alarm and Webroot as I have done on my desktop).

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: data encryption for laptops??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: data encryption for laptops??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: hard disk encryptiuon

In reply to: data encryption for laptops??

Collapse -
And don't forget to backup. When you encrypt a drive...

Data recovery is almost never successful on such drives. If you don't save an unencrypted copy at home or where ever, don't be surprised if it's gone forever...

Bob

Collapse -
but of course

In reply to: And don't forget to backup. When you encrypt a drive...

That's exactly what I want. And yes, I back up. The laptop is just a tool at school. My main base is at home and in my back up drive.

Thanks for the info!
A

Collapse -
In addition...

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: In addition...

It's a semi-older computer that I use at school that has had some sensitive information on it - and I don't feel like reformatting or having to think about what I put on it. So I don't need lojack, just a good program that will make data unusable to anyone but me.

Thanks for the ideas for words. I was using Data instead of Drive. It appears that makes all the difference. However, I still haven't come across any reviews that compare popular programs for home users. I was hoping to be able to make a decision without spending so much time sifting.

Thanks,
Adrienne

Collapse -
My humble opinion....

In reply to: Thanks

Hi,

I suggest Acronis for your backups. I looked at a few options this is Devil what I finally descided on.

BIOS System password a must. For encryption I've always liked PGP. You can encrypt part of your drive and put your sensitive data there. It's light and has robust security features.

An yes I agree with above remarks. Without a backup, if laptop gone you are SOL.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Data & File security 4 Laptops/ Desktops

I am a target for the DoD/NNIC since 2002 and they frequently steal my stuff leaving nothing but empty folders. They used to leave tracks on my firewall, hits like 3200 probes in 20 minutes, but recently have perfected their thefts without tracks probably using new free AOL as their doorway. I now use an external hard drive for both DT and LT ( one for each ) and do a complete file backup ( frequently ) with 256 encryption. I also use Folder Lock and lock all wanted files immediately and often. I also keep the Folder Locker,on the external hard drive which also saves space on your laptop HD. The Folder Locker gives you choice of three levels security fast to slower. Recently my efforts paid off as ' THEY ' took my stuff last week and it only took 5 1/2 hours to restore all my 77,000 encrypted files from the external HD. The restore is automatic and recovers to the last backup point for files and updates.If you are a target as I am you will not be able to stop the DoD/NNIC but at least you'll be able to recover your STUFF .

Collapse -
what??

In reply to: Data & File security 4 Laptops/ Desktops

You report that your files are removed by DoD/NNIC?? What or who is that acronym? Google doesn't seem to know. You seem pretty calm about it.

Collapse -
Data & File Security 4 Laptops / Desktops ( twoflatfish)

In reply to: what??

Hello twoflatfish,
Having lost my stuff to these folks at least ten or more times why not be calm about it . Email exchanges, phonecalls to them , abuse reports against them , threats of court action cannot stop it . So check out one of their links < http://www.netreg.navy.mil/shoreipreg.html > Do not be surprised. They are doing it to all of us especially those with high speed connections. Having done this for over four years they are very good at it . AC

Collapse -
Cryptainer LE

You might go to http://www.cypherix.com/index.htm to look at their various programs of Cryptainer. It is one of the simplest to use and you can use their 25 MB version for free.

Collapse -
I'd recommend TrueCrypt

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I've used this software for awhile now and I could not be happier. It's free, Open Source, encryption.

Can't beat it.
Collapse -
Ditto: TrueCrypt

In reply to: I'd recommend TrueCrypt

Yes, me too. Another recommendation for TrueCrypt.

Collapse -
Try PGP Security

There is a PGP security site that offers the software to encrypt the entire hard drive. www.pgp.com
It also has other features such as desktop security, email encryption, certificates, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.