Camcorders forum

General discussion

Data dump for Sony DCR-SR100

by shaynaleahy / February 27, 2007 4:15 AM PST

Hello,

My father is going to Africa for a safari and is considering this camera since he wouldn't have to lug tapes/dvd's etc. Does anyone know if you can dump data to an external source (like a flash drive or portable hard drive) without using a computer as an intermediary? Thanks!

Shayna

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data dump for Sony DCR-SR100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data dump for Sony DCR-SR100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even if a hard disk did such I can assure you that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:24 AM PST

It has a few small computers in it. Said camcorder is usually a poor choice for such adventures. Look at what others have brought before.

Sony has a device to transfer to DVD media without a PC. Seems proprietary and pricey.

Bob

Collapse -
A clarification...
by shaynaleahy / February 27, 2007 4:43 AM PST

I understand that the camera itself has a "computer" inside that manages the software and camera processes. My father does not want to have to take a laptop with him to dump the camera onto when it gets full. Since he will be on safari, we are looking for external storage that can be used if he does not have access to a computer.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Even those external units have a computer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: A clarification...

You can't escape them.

-> Let's be honest here. MiniDV is the answer. Bring as many hours as you need.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, you know I agree with you
by boya84 / February 27, 2007 1:17 PM PST

but I had to paint myself into a corner... just 'cuz.

Bill

Collapse -
The only way to have "unlimited" recording
by boya84 / February 27, 2007 9:26 AM PST

is to remove what has been recorded from the camera. Lets stroll... and think in printed format.

How long is the trip? Presuming this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal, one would also presume that highest quality would be desirable. That eliminates recordable DVDs (compression renders image quality pretty poor).

Taking a laptop is removed from the equation as a place to dump data.

That leaves MiniDV tape based camcorder or an external portable hard drive.

Look into Focus Enhancements' FireStore series. http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/video_production.asp Be sure to check the amount of video time available on each FS family hard drive; the amount of battery time available for that portable hard drive and that it is compatible with the camcorder you are getting. And when that external drive fills, where will the new video be stored? It is a finite storage space.

For the $1,000+ that it would cost to get an external drive, that would by a lot of miniDV tape.

Whether or not he wants to screw with it, the MiniDVD tape method will provide highest quality and essentially unlimited storage.

If I find a flash drive with an appropriate amount of storage (at least equivalent to the Focus Enhancements external drives), I will post here - but it will be expensive (honestly, that sort of flash memory is not available to consumers today - I think there are military users out there)... You could look at the Panasonic AG-HVX200 - http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93120&catGroupId=14571&surfModel=AG-HVX200
it uses flash memory and they are having a deal on the P2 cards. The HV200x is a bit more expensive than the SR100... but it does do HD...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.