Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Data CD Problems

My computer is having problems reading data cd's. Audio cd's seem to work fine. I can jumpstart a data cd by first having the computer read an audio cd from the drive and then inserting a data disk.
I remember seeing a thread about this problem before. I think it involved editing the registry in some way but now I can't find it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data CD Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data CD Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Data CD's do NOT

In reply to: Data CD Problems

run automatically, you have to open them yourself.

open my computer

look for the CD Rom

open it from there

it will show all your information there. If you need to, you can then coopy and paste the items from that folder to your desktop. If it's an application, you can run it from there without taking up any space.

Rick

Collapse -
Sounds like your Auto play is set to "Take No Action"

If you want the data disk to open then you do the following.
insert a data disk.
Open Window explore.
Right click on Properties
Select Auto Play tab
Choice from selection below what you want done.
Hit Apply

That should take care of you problem.

Collapse -
Data cd's aren't recognized

In reply to: Sounds like your Auto play is set to "Take No Action"

Sorry, I don't think my post was clear enough. The data cd's aren't being recognized at all. If I open windows explorer or my computer the name of the cd, files, etc. aren't even listed. It's not registering that there's a cd in the drive. I do have auto play enabled. I can get the data cd's to work if I put an audio cd in right beforehand-which is strange.

Collapse -
How about

In reply to: Data cd's aren't recognized

deleting the drive from your hardware and rebooting your computer and let Windows re-add it?
What happens if you have a data cd in there (not recognized yet) and you open up my computer and double click the drive?

Collapse -
Also, if you are using a CD from another computer

In reply to: How about

it will work in oe computer but not nescerally the other, especially CD-RW's or CD+RW's. It will only work in the original computer. You may even have different speeds for each, if made in a 32X and yours is only 8X - think you have the picture.

Collapse -
Data CD problems.

Things to try:
? Clean the drive reading-head,
? Uninstall and reinstall the drive,
? Update the driver and/or firmware,
? Use the trouble-shooting wizard at the drive's property at System Manager(Device manager> CD ROM >...Properties>General Tab -->Trouble Shooting)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.