Computer Help forum

General discussion

Data Backup before system Recovery

I have a laptop with XP and Windows will not start up. I try to start in safe mode and that wont work either. The manufacturer logo comes up, then the Windows logo and then a black screen. I can press F12 or F2 and get to the utilities and I can also press F8 during startup. Additionally, I can go thru the system recovery, but I do not want to lose some of my data. This problem caught me off guard and I hadn't backed up my latest pictures, documents, music etc. . . The manufacturer suggested taking the laptop to an authorized technician but I think that will be expensive.

I want to do a full system recovery but I need to get my data backed up. I can't bring myself to do this until all my pictures, documents and music files are backed up. I have an external hard drive but I dont know how to get to the files to move them there. I can't see paying a bunch of money when the solution is probably simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Lisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Data Backup before system Recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Data Backup before system Recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use a bootable CD like this.

In reply to: Data Backup before system Recovery

Collapse -
Linux?

In reply to: I use a bootable CD like this.

I have a DOS OS. Will this work on a DOS or only on a Linux? This is an issue I am not familiar with, but I think I need something like what you are talking about but for DOS. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Sorry, XP is not a DOS OS.

In reply to: Linux?

So we need something better. I use the solution given in my first link without any issues. Notice how they were able to copy files out to a CD recorder? Fast forward to today and you can also use USB hard disks and memory sticks.

Bob

PS. If this is not your post and you tacked a new request on, I can't know that as the "by ______" is unreliable.

Collapse -
Further question

In reply to: Sorry, XP is not a DOS OS.

I have an external hardrive I can connect with a USB port, but I don't know how to get to the files on the laptop I need to remove before I wipe the hardrive with the recovery disc. The screen is blank/black and I can't get to a DOS prompt. That's my dilema. Can it be connected USB to USB to my desktop? Will I be able to view the hardrive of my laptop from my desktop this way?

Collapse -
This is why I supplied a link about how...

In reply to: Further question

Take a moment to read the article and how we booted off the CD to copy our files out.

I can see why you would be confused if you didn't read the article.

"Can it be connected USB to USB to my desktop?"

Sorry, I can't see how that would work.

"Will I be able to view the hardrive of my laptop from my desktop this way?"

The article should have made this clear. Can you tell me what you didn't understand from the article? And let me be very clear. Networking is quite a step above the simple method I wrote about in my first reply. Your choice to make it harder.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry . . .

In reply to: Further question

I didn't notice your subject line above. When it comes to operating systems, I am not very proficient. I always assumed Windows was DOS based and was not compatible with Linux and other OS. So what you mean is I can use Knoppix with Windows XP? If so, I'll try that . . .

Collapse -
I read all your replies and it appears

In reply to: Sorry . . .

You didn't read the article I linked to. If you dismissed that article I can see why you would ask these questions.
Bob

Collapse -
I apologize . . .

In reply to: I read all your replies and it appears

but I did read the article. And when I saw Linux, I assumed I couldn't use it. I read the article again and I understand it a little better now. When it comes to the technical side of computers, I consider myself to be at a "Jr. High" level. I have no where near the knowledge that moderators as yourself have and honestly I knew very little about Linux other than that it was an operating system. I'm glad you pointed me to this download. I'm sure it will work and I'll be relieved my data is saved. Thank you so much and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Collapse -
I see now.

In reply to: I apologize . . .

The article was a launching point to show that there was nothing new to learn or very very little. You can "explore" drives and more just by clicking on icons, copy files just like you do in Windows.

Gail and others were a little astounded at the ease of use plus how you could boot this CD to get our files out of an almost dead machine.

That article is now 4 years old and Ubuntu and Knoppix have made it even easier.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.