Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Darwin Award

Jan 2, 2005 9:12PM PST

Finally, THE WINNER!!!: [Arkansas Democrat Gazette]:
Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday. Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, were returning to Des Arc after a frog gigging trip on an overcast Sunday night when Poole's pickup truck headlights malfunctioned.

The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged, and struck Poole in the testicles.

The vehicle swerved sharply right, exiting the pavement, and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles, which will never operate as intended. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.

"Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off, or we might both be dead," stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened," said Snyder. Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia (Poole's wife) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck???

(Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole DID, in fact, effectively remove himself from the gene pool.)

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
unfortuneatly this is false
Jan 2, 2005 9:24PM PST
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/fuse.asp

Claim: A pair of Arkansas rednecks are injured using a .22 caliber shell in place of a burnt-out automobile fuse.

Origins: In
October 1996, the Internet was left giggling over the hilarious news story of a pair of not-too-bright good ol' boys and truck repairs gone wrong. Combining the key comic elements of trucks, bullets and stupidity, the tale was a sure winner.

Only one problem with the news item: It didn't happen. It was a fun story dressed up to look like a 25 July 1996 Arkansas Democrat-Gazette article, and it fooled a lot of people.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The concept was also debunked on Mythbusters
Jan 2, 2005 9:39PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your right ty i saw that show
Jan 2, 2005 9:46PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, Mark, I didn't take it as an affront.
Jan 3, 2005 3:03AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) im glad you didnt but it wasa funny
Jan 3, 2005 3:04AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for sharing the story Mkay. :)
Jan 2, 2005 9:51PM PST
- Collapse -
Funny anyway
Jan 2, 2005 9:53PM PST

We will just rename it a "joke" instead!

Thanks, Mary Kay Grin

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i didnt mean to put mkay down :(
Jan 2, 2005 10:22PM PST
- Collapse -
I'm sorry, Mark
Jan 2, 2005 10:54PM PST

I didn't mean at all to give that impression Sad Forgive my boo-boo in wording?

I thought I remembered the story, also, but you had already did the research. Then I thought, "well, it's a funny story anyway, let's just call it a joke instead!"

Have a good first full week of 2005!

Take care,
--Marcia

- Collapse -
np after i posted my reply to mkay
Jan 2, 2005 11:38PM PST

i relized she mite take it as a put down which it wasnt. Happy

- Collapse -
That reminds me of a driving hazard in Mexico that I was
Jan 2, 2005 11:05PM PST

told about.

It seems it's a bit dangerous to drive at night in Mexico. When driving up a hill it is frequently possible to see another car approaching when the headlights shine over the top of the hill. In order to enhance this effect when passing, some Mexicans turn off their headlights. It is not unusual for two cars to be passing with their lights out. Ouch!

- Collapse -
Darwin Award- True story
Jan 2, 2005 11:52PM PST

Very funny McKay. I had read this before and I had also read where someone had tried to declare it as not true. The town was "Cotton Plant" which is 10 miles north of Brinkley, Arkansas. The river is the White River at Des Arc, Ar. I knew Billy Ray Wallis, one of the participants in the accident. You will never guess what name he went by. BUBBA. It figgures doesn't it?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If my name was Billy Ray, I think I would use BUBBA als
Jan 3, 2005 1:37AM PST
- Collapse -
True story...
Jan 3, 2005 2:19AM PST

Well I'll be.. My 1st wife is from Arkansas and claimed she grew up near the 'Cotton Plant' and knew Bubba.
Have to ask her about the 'shooting'.

- Collapse -
True Story
Jan 3, 2005 3:18AM PST

Hey John,
Your 1st wife will have to be REAL Specific if inquiring about Bubba down in that part of the woods because there are lots of Bubbas there. Some even have the same daddy. (Different mommas) We try our best to restrict their movement. Especially out of the state. We don't want them wandering around the US telling people that they are from Arkansas. We have been making an effort to clean up our image lately. We kinda slipped up when we let Bill (as in former 2 term President Clinton) get into the national spotlight. But if Texas could stand the embarassment of letting George Jr.out in public outside their borders then we're in good shape. An overwhealming majority seemed to agree with us too. There were no hanging chads, disallowing votes from overseas, the Supreme Court having to decide who the President would be and all of that mess in each of his TWO victories. Oops! Sorry I didn't mean to start that again. I forgot. The election is over. Both contested sapsuckers!! As you can tell, I have accepted it and moved on.

- Collapse -
Yeah, them their Bubbas are everywhere. I kinda
Jan 3, 2005 3:59AM PST

moved on and got me a real top notch wife 25 years ago, staying with the trend, she being from Nashville, TN and having gobs & gobs of relatives, some still up in them hills. Love to visit as many relatives as time allows & especially like some of the language pronunciation, like "Battree". Grand Old Opera, Louisiana Hay Ride, Hee Haw, I've learned to love. Only songs I can sing ok on the wife's Karaoke machine is by Hank Williams (Sr). Still learning Jr's and Charlie Daniels (not the Arkansas Sec of State Charlie Daniels). BTW his Soapbox site is one that I like to read and hits on what a good American is all about. His latest,
http://www.charliedaniels.com/soapbox/soapbox.html , but read some of his previous post there which does get political.

- Collapse -
well a well known
Jan 3, 2005 3:07AM PST
- Collapse -
You in the market for a bridge?
Jan 3, 2005 4:12AM PST

I got one 4 sale real cheap...

- Collapse -
LOL MKay...A
Jan 3, 2005 2:42AM PST