General discussion

Dark picture on Projection TV

I have a 50" Philips projection TV. The picture on the TV has gotten progressively darker. I've turned the brightness all the way to 100 with no improvement. The picture is clear, just dark and very hard to see.

I've read other posts about cleaning the bulbs, would this help with my situation?

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dark picture on Projection TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dark picture on Projection TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I would think...

it wouldn't hurt. If not the bulb, cleaning the lens should definitely help.

- Collapse -
Get a new lamp

They do not last for ever, any where from 2,000 to 8,000 hours depending tv brand & model #.
About how many hours are on yours?
& what is the lamps rated life? Sometimes they do not last the rated life for a few reasons, sometimes they last more, I have around 10,000-12,000 hours on a 8,000 hours rated lamp.

The lamp is in a sealed (should be, my Sony SXRD lamp is) compartment. Pull the lamp is check for dust, do NOT use any water, window clear or anything like that on the bulb!!! Use a dry very soft cloth & use your vacuum cleaner, DO NOT TOUCH the bulb with your bear hands, the oils on your hands can do damage. Also check the lamp for color distortion, it will either be a black ring/spot or look like a rainbow that is a bad/old bulb.

I am 99% sure you just need a new lamp.

- Collapse -
Oh &

The brightness setting does nothing to the brightness of the overall screen, that deals with the brightness of the blacks & shadow detail, so turn that back down to around the 50's. You what to turn up the "contrast" setting that will make the overall screen brighter, if it is still dim & if your tv has an auto iris turn that up too the highest setting to get more life out of the lamp.

CNET Forums

Forum Info