Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Dare we hope?

by James Denison / October 28, 2014 6:20 AM PDT
Barack Obama displayed inspiring leadership on Friday.

He also promoted public health, fought bigotry, and helped calm raging paranoia. His heroic act? He hugged somebody.

Nina Pham, the first person to be infected with Ebola within the United States, had just been declared disease-free and discharged from the National Institutes of Health. Obama is a rational, science-friendly guy, so he knew she wasn't any danger to him. It didn't take courage to hug her.

(that's all that's worth reading on the page, only vile bile from a hate filled Liberal after that point). Dare we hope slate will clean up their act? They should never let this person write another article for them.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dare we hope?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dare we hope?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I want him to use Obamacare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Dare we hope?

As president he receives coverage from military physicians of the White House Medical Unit.

Collapse -
And I want politicians to stop
by Steven Haninger / October 28, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

passing laws such as the national "do not call list" and exempting themselves from compliance. They're calling my phone with recorded messages all day long now. Too bad I can't speak to a human because I'd tell them I'm keeping track of who calls me most and will be voting for who calls me least.

Collapse -
I don't even answer my phone most of the time.
by Diana Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 9:26 AM PDT

I just listen to the messages.

Collapse -
(NT) Nor do I. I just check the number on the display. R
by Rob_Boyter / October 28, 2014 1:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
No, but symbolic acts can remove the stigma from a patient
by Rob_Boyter / October 28, 2014 1:47 PM PDT

with panic inducing diseases like HIV, as Princess Diana proved, and as the President also demonstrated. That is an important service in the Ebola Maddened media-sphere which so irresponsibly runs American news reporting. I think it was a very sensible thing to do.

Rob

Collapse -
A "Mission Accomplished" moment?
by TONI H / October 28, 2014 9:13 PM PDT

While his State Department issues memos contemplating bringing in non-citizens infected with Ebola to the US for treatment at our full expense, including travel under I would think would be charter plane conditions and then pay for those planes to be cleaned up, again at our expense.

Collapse -
The memo doesn't say that
by Diana Forum moderator / October 29, 2014 12:35 AM PDT

Page 3 "Any costs associated with evacuations are the responsibility of the patient or their parent organization. They are not funded by U.S. taxpayers - although the financial guarantees required of U.S. citizens are somewhat less stringent than those for non-citizens.

Collapse -
So rather than
by TONI H / October 29, 2014 5:00 AM PDT

this being a real 'humanitarian' situation, it comes down to 'whoever can afford the costs to evacuate, including cleaning a chartered plane' gets first dibs? From what I read, the State Dept plans to use 'our planes'.......would that be military types? And who picks up the tab for cleaning them up?

Collapse -
Also....
by TONI H / October 29, 2014 5:02 AM PDT

As far as I know, nobody has been billed for the costs of cleaning up and sanitizing actual infected people's apartments here.......does that mean the State or the Fed is picking up those tabs?

Collapse -
But they are citizens of the US
by Diana Forum moderator / October 29, 2014 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Also....

The other is for non-citizens

Collapse -
Even the fire dept and ambulance
by TONI H / October 29, 2014 9:17 AM PDT

companies will send you a bill for their services, Diana.......why should the taxpayer have to pay either at the State or Federal level to clean up someone's apartment for an infectious disease, or a plane, or the ambulances that hauled them to the hospital? Let the insurance companies pay for that since Obamacare is supposed be so great or bill the patient directly.

There was an estimate on Fox about an hour ago that the normal total cost to care for someone with Ebola has been averaging $500K per person....it didn't mention if cleanup costs were included in it.

Collapse -
Our fire department doesn't
by Diana Forum moderator / October 29, 2014 10:08 AM PDT

That's just part of the town's property tax. The ambulance is private so they bill the insurance company. The police and paramedics don't bill us either.

The tax payer pays for things like this just like they pay for wars and police actions and for soldiers to go over and build proper facilities over there.

Collapse -
My point exactly, thank you
by TONI H / October 29, 2014 9:17 PM PDT

>>>and for soldiers to go over and build proper facilities over there>>>

Our soldiers are over there building facilities.....there is no reason why meds can't be sent there and treat those infected locally rather than consider bringing the patients here. We are already paying for their care and treatment....the cost alone to bring them here instead is staggering, not to mention the risks involved in transporting them out of a couple of countries that have it in abundance because it's NOT under control yet. Can you think of any?

Collapse -
RE: His heroic act? He hugged somebody.
by JP Bill / November 8, 2014 4:29 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!