Mac OS forum

General discussion

Dangers of Limewire

by jpr / January 19, 2006 9:18 PM PST

If you are currently running limewire on mac 0SX, I think you might want to stop. My 5 month old iBook G4 was completly "destroyed" by Limewire. The Hard drive go so damaged, it started making weird noises, the fan was always on a full speed, and then... after the computer froze.. the Hard drive died. The person at the apple store said Limewire was a "weak" program that can damage your system. Thankfully, the HD was powerful enough to transfer my apps and documents. Don't let this happen to you.pay the dollar and get you music the safe way: iTunes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dangers of Limewire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dangers of Limewire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What!?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2006 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Dangers of Limewire

I find it very difficult to actually believe this story. It reminds me of those Anti-Virus companies trying to sell me a program that will detect all OS X virus's.
Although MP3 files can contain infectious diseases, they do not run under OS X.
I have no doubt that your machine did have problems or that your HD was making "weired noises" but all your woes were probably caused by a failing HD. HD's fail, it's a fact of life, yours failed. Limewire had nothing to do with it.
Did Apple replace your hard drive or did they just run Disk Warrior (or similar) to rebuild the directories and perform the necessary maintenance that you should have been doing? A dead HD is a dead HD, it doesn't work. So how were you able to transfer your apps and documents?

Just curious

P

Collapse -
Reply to: What!?
by jpr / January 20, 2006 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: What!?

First of all, it was not the mp3 files, it was the actuall peogram itself. The Apple tech said that my computer was REALLY messed up, and the HD noises he heard sond like other peoples w/ limewire. He said that limewire was a weak program that ''leaked memory''. And I've never heard of a brand new HD just failing because of nothing. Apple is replacing my Hard Drive, and transferred my apps and docs under the little power it had left through an external HD. True, it was not totally dead, but the computer was inoperable. They said I needed a full Hard Drive replacement.

Collapse -
Leaking memory
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to: What!?

Safari, Apples own web browser, leaks memory.
Hard drives have been known to fail on day one, or the day after the warranty expires.
I still doubt a program can screw up the HD because it is "weak"

Still, I am open to further discussion and opinion on this one.

P

Collapse -
Was the iBook used as a server node for lime wire?
by grimgraphix / January 20, 2006 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: Leaking memory

in other words was it being accessed all the time by other folks hooked up to the limewire network? How many songs did you have in the limewire file?

Either way, my friend had to get his HD in his 14" iBook replaced after only 4 months of using it.

My question would be does Apple cover damage caused by programs like Limewire? If they do it strikes me as very generous indeed.

grim

Collapse -
Reply to: Was the iBook used as a server node for lime wire?
by jpr / January 20, 2006 10:37 PM PST

I don't think it makes a difference if you share your files or not. Apple would cover any damage as long as its in warranty, I don't think they can know for sure if was limewire, but the computer was under warranty so they took it in.

Funny, because my 14 inch iBook (MID 2005) failed after five months of purchase.

Collapse -
HD Failure
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 12:06 AM PST

If Apple could prove that you damaged the HD and that it was not faulty to begin with, you would NOT be getting a new HD out of the deal.
I note that you mention that this sort of thing has happened to you before, were you using that machine for Limewire as well or was it just being used as a regular machine?

P

Collapse -
Harddrive
by macnut2 / January 21, 2006 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: HD Failure

I find it hard to believe that a software problem would cause your hard drive to go up. My question is did you have your computer well vented? Do you have the air vents blocked? Are you a smoker?

Collapse -
Computer Back!
by jpr / February 19, 2006 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Harddrive

After 4 LONG weeks, my computer is finally back for good.(hopefully) Shortly after Apple returned it for the first time, the computer broke again. It froze contsantly and was running slow. So, I returned it and they shipped it out and swapped another hard drive in a replaced the logic board. (or whatever it's called). Now it works! My brother's iBook, though, is in service for the 3rd time in 2 months. (Mine was in 5 times, in 4 months)

Collapse -
Did they give a reason...
by grimgraphix / February 19, 2006 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Back!

for the equipment failure or do you still suspect it was Limewire?

grim

Collapse -
Re:Reason
by jpr / February 20, 2006 12:51 AM PST

I never truly believed that it was Limewire, THEY (Apple Store) did, and I sort of believed that a bit. Now that I thought about it, I don't think it was limewire. It was probaly just faulty equipment in the first place.

Collapse -
Sounds like a
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2006 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Back!

the logic board was defective in the first place and this caused the HD to fail. Both of them!
A 4 week turn around for a Laptop repair is highly unusual. Are these machines going back to Apple or are they going to some store, even the Apple Store someplace?

Back in the day, when I was shipping them off to Memphis for repair, I could ship on Monday and have it back by Wednesday.

P

Collapse -
Laptop
by jpr / February 20, 2006 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like a

I didn't mean it was in repair for 4 weeks, I meant that after two weeks in repair, they sent it back, still broken. Then, they shipped it out again for a week and I got it back then. (it was more like 3 1/2 weeks) My brother's laptop is still in, the frame around the screen popped out or something when he closed it.

Collapse -
I have to ask this question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2006 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop

Is this a "Real" Apple store, built by Apple and run by Apple or is this a store that is an Apple Authorised Reseller that does warranty repair work too?

P

Collapse -
Yes
by jpr / February 20, 2006 4:47 AM PST

Yes, it is a real Apple store. (Northbrook,IL) (I would never go to Best Buy or something like that)... We just picked up my brother's iBook. We would have been charged $700 if not for the warranty. In total, for both computers, the charge would have been about $1,395.

Collapse -
OK, Then standards must be slipping
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2006 5:37 AM PST

for them to return a machine that was not working.

You wait until they outsource to some other country

You might want to extend your AppleCare, now that you have certainly got your moneys worth from it.

Happy

P

Collapse -
Limewire causes no dammage what so ever?
by thewildeliai / March 5, 2006 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: What!?

So what you are saying is that Limewire could not have caused problem.... My question is if I were to utilize Limewire on the intel Mac (not that it makes any difference on a G5, but) and happen to download a faulty song/program/archive that contain(s) a malicous code trojan horse or any virus, it would have no effect on the mac???

Collapse -
Limewire
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2006 8:32 AM PST

What I'm saying is that if you run Limewire on the Mac and you download any PC virus it will NOT run on the Mac.
Currently there are NO mac virus's in the wild. None.
There are a couple of "proof of concept" things that the press made a big fuss about a little while ago, but one was patched against over 6 months ago and the other requires the Administrator to give it permission to install. Once installed, it does nothing to harm the machine and cannot spread.
None of the PC virus's will run on a Mac, even an Intel driven Mac.

P

Collapse -
Thanks for clarifying
by thewildeliai / March 6, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Limewire

Thanks dude! Really good to know!

Collapse -
Apple Care
by jpr / February 20, 2006 9:01 PM PST

The store had just opened a few months ago, so maybe they didn't know the full damage, and told the repair center only one thing needed to be fixed, when it was two things. I'm considering apple care when the warranty is up in September.

Collapse -
Wise Move.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2006 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Apple Care

Don't let the warranty run out first though

P

Collapse -
acquisition
by Ramrod48 / March 6, 2006 3:06 AM PST

I was using acquisition for a while and had no problems until I was a few months into using it. Then I started having freezing problems. I deleted it and my computer hasn't frozen in a week or so, so hopefully it works out. I don't know why there's problems with that, maybe downloading illegaly is bad karma.

Collapse -
Limewire.....removed it!
by ElectricMayhem / March 9, 2006 6:58 PM PST

Hi,

I expunged it from my system.....simple clean and effective!!! in fact I have expunged an awful lot of applications that I never use......did the same when I was a pc owner......

simple really.....

Collapse -
...?
by mustangwll / March 9, 2006 10:56 PM PST

OK, I'll buy a 'memory leak'... even though I've never heard of one in OS X, considering the RAM is protected by OS X. LimeWire couldn't just kill your hard drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a so called 'memory leak' in LimeWire would have no effect on the hard drive (and please don't start telling me the virtual memory on the machine leaking would cause a hard drive failure). Another thing that puzzles me is hard drives contain no power... How could it manage to 'have enough power' to get your programs and important documents salvaged?
Also, I don't think hard drives have fans built in... well, I know they don't have fans built in. So it must have been your system fan running in an attepmt to cool off the board of the laptop. Was it sitting on a pillow in your lap burning up? My PowerBook G3 500 Pismo and Sony Vaio both will turn themselves off if they start getting hot faster than they can cool themselves off, so I would assume by new PowerBook G4 17" (the curtain call for the PowerBook :(...) and your iBook G4 would follow suit and power down if they reached a temperature that was roughly that of the surface of the sun.
... that's just my two cents! Wink

Collapse -
Memory Leaks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 9, 2006 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: ...?

"OK, I'll buy a 'memory leak'... even though I've never heard of one in OS X, considering the RAM is protected by OS X."

As I said, Safari had a leak - as did Firefox. The apps would continue to ask for more memory allocation until there was nothing left to ask for. At that point, the apps stopped working. No other apps would run because there was not memory available for the system to dole out. Rebooting cured the problem in the short term. I believe the problem has now been rectified.

Collapse -
Memory leak leading to hard drive failure...
by mustangwll / March 10, 2006 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Memory Leaks

That was what really boggled my mind.

I'm not trying to sound like a pompus knowitall, but can you explain to me how a memory leak would lead to a hard drive failure... just by using a 'poorly written' application? Considering Safari is on... hmm... every machine Apple has released running OS X (a free download at first), I would assume the memory leak in Safari would have been having every Mac sold until a fix for Safari was discovered be returned for a HD replacement.

Collapse -
Unboggle your mind
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 10, 2006 4:55 AM PST

and go back and read the original posts.
This from the original poster:
"He said that limewire was a weak program that ''leaked memory''. And I've never heard of a brand new HD just failing because of nothing."
To which I replied:
"Safari, Apples own web browser, leaks memory.
Hard drives have been known to fail on day one, or the day after the warranty expires.
I still doubt a program can screw up the HD because it is "weak" "

Now, I wonder if you would point out where, exactly, I said that a memory leak would cause HD failure.

P

Collapse -
I don't know......
by jpr / March 10, 2006 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Unboggle your mind

I don't know the TRUE reason why the hard drive died so early. The tech the Apple store said that it was MOST LIKELY a memory leak from Limewire, although I don't know how he came up with that.
What I meant by the HD having enought power is that it was able to run, but very slowly, to transfer my apps and files.
The noise I was describing was not the fan, beacuse it was coming directly from the Hard Drive. It was making a beeping sound.
I am dissapointed with the reliablity and construction of my computer, since it was in the shop for many weeks, and so was my brother's, who has the same computer. His was in for only two weeks.

Collapse -
My post was directed to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 11, 2006 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know......

the previous poster.
You were passing along the information that the Apple Store Tech gave to you.
I think we have about decided that your HD and your Logic board were faulty and in need of replacement.

The only person who claimed a memory leak caused the problem was the Apple Tech (term used very loosely).

Glad you are back in business and continue running for many years

P

Collapse -
Weak Program....What the....
by youngma / March 11, 2006 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Unboggle your mind

I have agree with the posts to date, sure there are programs with memory leaks but saying this is the cause of a defection hard drive is a little hard to accept.

I've being using, Macs, PCS and UNIX boxes for over 25 years and I have never heard of a "weak" program. It that was the case there would be many failed HDs due to poorly written programs.

The machine just sounds defective.

Collapse -
That just about does it
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 11, 2006 10:38 PM PST

I think we all agree that a "weak" program, whatever that is, does not cause HD failure:
Likewise,
1. Memory leaks
2. Leaving the machine running 24/7
3. Using Limewire (except for the Virus danger to our Pc using friends)
4. Unprotected Internet use. (but see 3 above)
5. Smoking in Bed.

We also learned:
That the "Genius" behind the Apple Store Genius Bar is sometimes an example of false advertising.
That an incorrectly diagnosed faulty logic board will cause HD failure (twice) before it is replaced.
That some people don't listen to the explanation, take portions of it out of context and then try to explain to others what the problem is.
Most importantly, we found out that not everyone reads the original posts when they launch their answer into print.

So, because we are all in agreement over the cause/non-cause, I'm locking this thread as nothing further needs to be said on the subject

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?