TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Dang! 2007 Sony announcements - lackluster? on c/net Crave

by NM_Bill / February 27, 2007 1:39 AM PST

Waiting with baited breath is disappointing.

New Blu-ray player - summer - $600
New 1080p receiver - March - $300
iPod cradle - May - $100
base Bravia series still 720 - 5 models, 26"-46"
1080p Bravia flat LCDs - 40"-46" - with 10-bit color
32" XBR4 - with 120Hz refresh rate - no big deal
oh yes, cabinets to be black - whoopee!
slimmer LCD rear projectors
SXRD LCoS 50" $2299
55" $2499
60" $2899
new XBR line info around June
XBRs should be HDMI 1.3, but Sony may wrap it adapted in a Sony proprietary way
B.I.L. (Bravia Internet Link) June $300 for compatible Sony sets
To push acceass to Sony Pictures & Sony BMG music content
and whatever AOL, Yahoo! & Grouper offers

Sorry. I was hoping for more impact. Maybe down the line with OLED?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dang! 2007 Sony announcements - lackluster? on c/net Crave
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dang! 2007 Sony announcements - lackluster? on c/net Crave
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) So many here swear by Sony. Response?
by NM_Bill / February 27, 2007 11:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Stop By My Place!
by EXCON / February 28, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Sure As Hell ain't Lackluster in my living room!

Collapse -
Hey, EXCON
by NM_Bill / February 28, 2007 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Stop By My Place!

Yeah, I read of your new beauty. My post referred to lack of dramatic news of the announced so far 2007 models. Have a hellacious time playing with your new toy.

Collapse -
OLED
by bevillan / February 28, 2007 5:42 AM PST

My boss went to CES this year and he said Sony had some smaller sized OLED tvs on display. I guess they looked amazing, but he wasn't sure how far along the tech was to actually mass produce it.

I think the huge price but for Blu-ray players is big news. It all but takes away HD-DVDs advantage with pricing. And it gives those who don't want to watch movies on a videogame console an option of using a standalone player (which everyone here probably agrees is ideal).

Collapse -
Sony: Love Em Or Hate Em
by EXCON / February 28, 2007 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: OLED

I personally think Sony manufactures the finest Laptops AND TV sets today. They also offer some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. The downside is their propriatary BS,and PRICE. The vast majority of people would probably buy a Sony IF they could afford it. Just go to any REPUTABLE H/T store where the sets are set up properly and you will see Sony is consistantly at the top of the list along with Pioneer Plasmas. Both companies are EXPENSIVE. This is why Samsung does so well in the industry since they "fill the gap" for people who want a large TV but have a price point.

Collapse -
Agreed.
by bevillan / February 28, 2007 11:40 PM PST

You definitely pay a premium for a Sony TV, and to me it is worth it. To many for slightly less quality you can get a Samsung for hundreds less and most people are very happy with their lower priced TVs.

Sony Customer Service is pretty good, but when my cooling fan system stopped working they kept telling me to deal with the local authorized repair shop so I just went back to Crutchfield and they sent me a new TV for free even after the initial 30-day warranty.

I think Sony gets a bad name for how cocky they are too, especially in their videogame industry. The PS3 has been a sales flop but they keep holding to seeing themselves as the Gods of video games.

At least their TV and video game departments are separate.

Collapse -
Think of the PS3 as a loss leader buying insurance for the
by NM_Bill / March 1, 2007 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Agreed.

even bigger & more important Blu-ray as dominant HD player market.

Many have posted about good treatment by Sony customer service. From way back I bought only Sony, but have suffered from a few not well thought products & most recently their 32" XBR CRT that promptly died at just under 4 years. Luck of the draw I guess.

With their major corporate morass they really need Blu-ray to succeed. Though somewhat expensive, PS3 can blossom with some time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.