Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Dan, I just don't see it.

by drpruner / November 3, 2004 3:18 AM PST

Here's what I see:

Further, God blessed them and God said to them: ?Be fruitful and become many" 1:28 (So their gift of life on earth was a blessing, not a curse.)

After that God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good 1:31 ("very good" in the writer's eyes; very bad in yours.)

every tree desirable to one?s sight and good for food 2:9 (Instead of 'hospital food,' nourishing but bland, He gave them a variety and went to the trouble to give it eye appeal, like the Japanese of today.)

for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.? 2:17 (So their life prospects were >45 years; eternal, in fact, if they obeyed.)

You're giving me a common, mainstream response: 'No matter what the Bible says about something, I know better, because of what I see today, and what I want to believe.'

Compare this: Moby **** is a work of fiction. See if you can answer Sam Goldwyn's famous question about it: "Is Moby **** the man or the whale?"

All I have is the Bible to answer the big questions. Can't help you.

Regards, Doug in reality

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dan, I just don't see it.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dan, I just don't see it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dan, I just don't see it.
by Dan McC / November 3, 2004 3:50 AM PST

Human biology has not changed significantly in the last 5000 years. Botany, biology, genetics and reproduction work now as then. I have a bible, but I also have a familiarity with thousands of years of accumulated knowledge about how reality works that was not available to those who wrote the bible. To ignore that knowledge would be folly.

Answer this: What is the basic fact that applies to both 'Moby ****' and the bible?

Dan

Collapse -
by gearup / November 3, 2004 4:04 AM PST

They are both fiction based on knowledge which existed at the time of writing. And Goldwyn was an idiot. Moby **** is the whale . The man is Ahab and he is posessed by something dark and foreboding. He is a study in depravity
bi-polar from the way he is described vacillating between withdrawel and hyperactivity.

However to compare the tale of one mans depravity with the "bible" is not a fair comparison. The old testament,like the new had many authors each with their own agenda as opposed to "Moby ****" the work of one man whose agenda is still debatable!

Collapse -
Dan, I just don't see it.
by drpruner / November 4, 2004 2:31 PM PST

I had asked you, not what you think of man's life and prospects today, or in the "caveman" days, but what you had learned from a given text.

I asked about Moby **** because I was already imagining your answer based on your response to my Genesis question:

"Dan, you've read Moby ****. Is it the man or the whale?"

"It's the man, of course."

"But right on this page it says ..."

"I don't care. **** is a man's name, Moby Grape was a male group, so I decide that Moby **** is the man."

Then we all have a good laugh because we know you're just being silly. After all, most ten-year-olds can be pointed to the right pages in the book and find the answer.

(Sam Goldwyn, the "G" in MGM, was a semi-literate from a NY ghetto whose genius was for knowing what kind of entertainment we wanted. That made him rich enough to hire the guys who had read the books he made into blockbusters.)

My purpose was to see if you could treat the book and its topics seriously. You opted not to; you're free to do that. My option is to spend my time elsewhere. Lu 10:2; Acts 17:11.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
by Dan McC / November 4, 2004 10:18 PM PST

You'll have to explain your 'Moby ****' point a little better. It's still not clear to me.

'Moby ****' and the bible are both estimable works. But I would not use one as the basis for modern fisheries management nor the other for modern biology decisions.

Dan

Collapse -
applies to both 'Moby ****' and the bible
by jonah jones / November 4, 2004 2:56 PM PST

they both have a huge layer of blubber hiding the "meat 'n bones"?

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 5, 2004 2:34 AM PST

Hi, Dan.

>>What is the basic fact that applies to both 'Moby ****' and the bible?<<
They both feature a whale? Wink

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
"They both feature a whale" LOL!
by drpruner / November 6, 2004 1:13 PM PST

I can't believe I didn't even think of that!

And why didn't Jonah Jones come up with it?!

Regards, Doug in landlocked New Mexico

Collapse -
Nicely done Doug.
by Ziks511 / November 3, 2004 10:18 AM PST

Personally I want a copy of the Skeptics Bible with all the contradictions and outrageous stuff catalogued. But that doesn't mean I don't think its not beautifully written and a helpful guide to conduct with certain provisos. (Like no slavery etc)

The Bible, an example of a book written and edited by committees that defies the cliches about committees.

Rob Boyter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!