Computer Help forum

General discussion

Damage To Component(s)?

by rotn2cor / December 6, 2010 3:35 AM PST

Hello-first posting on this forum.Recently,I backed-up my secondary HDD to a temporarily installed third HDD.Removed the third HDD.Turned the computer back on and got a non-stop,fast-flashing HDD LED(minutes after booting).Obviously,something was wrong.Opened the case,wiggled the data and power cables-nothing was loose.Turned it back on and the fast-flashing HDD LED was gone.However,I notice that,now,when I access my secondary HDD(music files)the HDD LED will flash about every second.I know it did not do this before.And with my OS HDD I notice it now flashes about every 5 seconds,but not always.It did not do this before either.I can't find any reason for the HDD LED to flash(processes,CPU usage).BIOS shows my PSU voltage is okay.I ran Seagate's Seatools on both HDD and shows both are okay.Also,I ran Memtest and it shows that RAM is okay.Does anyone think that I've damaged a component(s)?My computer is self-built and has worked without issue for 6 months.It has an AMD platform,MSI board.I use both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 in a dual-boot configuration.Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Damage To Component(s)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Damage To Component(s)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Damaged post?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 3:42 AM PST

Your post appears to have suffered damage as well.

Single paragraphs are rough and since you are in an all volunteer forum it's best if you can take a few moments to break it up and preview your post.

It's hard to find out what the question is inside that paragraph.

It might be "Why is my HDD LED flashing?" But I'm not sure.
Bob

Collapse -
Does this "fast-flashing" LED ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 7, 2010 1:51 AM PST

perform the same under BOTH installed Operating Systems?

What software did you use to back the secondary drive to the temp third drive? (Might be that the software is "looking" for that third drive if it has any automatic backup capability)

Collapse -
HDD LED flashing issue
by rotn2cor / December 7, 2010 1:19 PM PST

The fast-flashing only happened on the first boot after I removed the temp. third drive.Which,by the way,I backed-up using Windows copy and paste. I now have a rhythmic flash about every 5 seconds and about every second when I access my storage drive.And this is about the same manner on both operating systems. I cleared BIOS,swapped the SATA cables and even physically disconnected the storage drive.Results are null.I've also downloaded and run Microsoft's Process Explorer,but can't find anything wrong. I'm concerned I've somehow shorted something on the mobo to the extent that it is causing this issue.I have seen no difference in performance though.

Collapse -
That helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: HDD LED flashing issue

Windows for years has not been consistent about the HDD flashing. I've lost count over calls about the blinking after a simple service job to fix speed issue where we installed the motherboard drivers or updated a BIOS.

"Why does the LED blink differently?"

You may never know.
Bob

Collapse -
HDD LED flashing not confined to Windows
by rotn2cor / December 8, 2010 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: That helped.

I am experiencing this new HDD LED behavior on BOTH Windows and Ubuntu,though.I don't see how the Windows OS could have any effect on the linux OS or,for that matter,somehow "control" the hardware in another operating system.You are right,I may never know.I am only hoping to prevent PC down-time if I do,in fact,have a damaged component(s).

Collapse -
Now that I can answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 3:58 AM PST

Modern drives have configurable parameters and it is possible one changed.

Let me share just one and you can research for more.

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/11/10/hard-drive-noise-reduction/

-> But let's say all HDD maker diagnostics pass and you are still worried. Why didn't you replace the parts you feel are bad?
Bob

Collapse -
Just looking for advice.
by rotn2cor / December 8, 2010 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Now that I can answer.

I haven't replaced a component because I am not sure that any damage has occurred.That's why I posted.I was hoping maybe someone in the forum has experienced what I am now.The fact that this began happening immediately after I was inside the PC case,handling components,seems to me a very likely reason for the sudden HDD LED issue.However,as I mentioned previously I am not experiencing any change in performance(yet).

Collapse -
Then you can
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 1:06 PM PST

Keep your backups current and carry on.

Diagnostics and more are passing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.