Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Daisychaining two routers

by Tipitck16 / August 7, 2010 12:23 AM PDT

Ive been reading about this and it seems that there are alot of people against it. But here is my situation. I live on about an acre lot. The house is mid yard, maybe towards the street alittle more. Where im trying to get internet to is the shed, which is more of a game room, flatscreen, surround, ps3, desktop took to tv, slingbox, cable, yadda yadda. I went out and bought a N router to put in the upstairs window to try to get a signal out there but is too weak. On a good day i get like 10% of a signal.

SO what i did is i move the modem and router to the basement, and ran a CAT5E wire in piping under the ground and put a wall mount plate in so i can plug into it. That works great. unfortunalty i have more than one toy that requires the internet, plus id like to have "wifi" out there.

My network currently stands like this,
ATT Modem Steamstream somthing or other goes to my D-Link DGL-4500, that creates the wifi in the house and plugs the house comp and office, and printer into it. From my fouth port is the wire that goes all the way to the shed. from the shed wall i have it going to my second router. Linksys E2000. Pluged into that i have the Desktop, PS3, Slingbox, and TV into it. As well as the wifi which my laptop is currently connected to.

I turned of the firewall off the Linksys router and on the DHCP its assigning diffent IPs then my house router so there is no conflict. Everything works great, The PS3 connects no problem, the desktop and tv is fine. My only issue im haveing is my slingbox. When im in the shed connected to the Linksys Router i have no problem streaming my cable from it. But when i go inside and connect to my D-link it cant be found. Im not sure if there is a different setting in the routers i need to change or what.

I know this was a long post. but i felt that it was better to inculde all my details so i wouldnt be yelled at to just get a switch or hub, or to cancel out the second router.

Thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Daisychaining two routers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Daisychaining two routers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware.
by Tipitck16 / August 7, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

I forgot to mention the firmware on my D-link DGL-4500 is
Current Firmware Version : 1.22NA
Current Firmware Date : 2010/01/19

Linksys E2000
Firmware Version: v1.0.00

My slingbox is a Slingbox PRO-HD
Firmware Version 1.4.60

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 2:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
I just bought this . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 8, 2010 10:44 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!