Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Daisy chaining a router

New to the forums here hello to all! First let me explain what I have...motorolla cable modem hooked to dlink wireless router all of which is on this end of the house along with my home office computer. kids room at the other end of the house equiped with new computer and xbox 360. I have a 100' network cable running from my dlink router to the kids room (shared by 2 boys). One wants to be on the computer the other wants to play xbox live and of course they want to do it at the same time.

Question is: i have another modem/router combo unit (netgear) can this be connected to my dlink router and support both computer and xbox in thier room.

I've seen other forums saying its possible by changing the netgear ip address and turning off dhcp or something to that effect but that just makes it a swith and i'm not sure that will support both units at the same time. i would like any suggestions do i need different equiptment?......is this configuration impossible?.....should i just take away thier electronics? please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Daisy chaining a router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Daisy chaining a router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can try

In reply to: Daisy chaining a router

to use the modem/router as a switch but if you have too much trouble configuring it, it's cheap to buy a 5-port switch.

Collapse -
give it a try

As Samkh stated, you would essentially be using the router as a switch.

1. Connect a computer to a numbered port on the Netgear router. Log in to it's admin page.
2. If D-Link router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, then assign the Netgear router something like 192.168.1.50.
3. Turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear router.
4. Disconnect all devices from Netgear router.
5. Connect a network cable form the D-link router to a numbered port on the Netgear router

Did it work?

Collapse -
tried it....

In reply to: give it a try

Thanks for the help.

I've logged on to the admin page on the netgear router, but I can't find any setting to change the ip or turn off the DHCP. It has a status page which shows the ip address and that the DHCP is turned on but no place to change those settings.

Collapse -
(NT) What's the model number of the Netgear unit?

In reply to: tried it....

Collapse -
(NT) netgear cg814wg / dlink sb5101

In reply to: What's the model number of the Netgear unit?

Collapse -
checking netgear.com...

In reply to: netgear cg814wg / dlink sb5101

Netgear cg814wg is a model that has firmware from the vendor that provided it to you, likely an ISP. Therefore, it may not have all the features that typical store bought routers have.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/cg814wg.asp

So maybe your best bet is indeed getting a switch. Not very expensive online.

Collapse -
switch

In reply to: checking netgear.com...

Will a switch allow both the computer and the xbox to have internet connections at the same time or does it "switch" from one to the other? The xbox needs a constant upstream and downstream to work properly, right?

Collapse -
switch will work

In reply to: switch

Adding a switch essentially adds more network ports to your router. In your case, the ports will just be on a 100' extension.

Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated! Looks like a switch is what I'll try. Im sure my kids would rather me do that then take away thier toys! lol

L8R!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.