TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Da lite info for Josten...

by RustyDallas / December 1, 2008 6:10 AM PST

Hey,

I checked and you can turn the traffic detour feature off on my GPS.

According to Da-lite, the high power fabric should not wrinkle more over time. In fact, they say it's a more pliable fabric than some others they sell and should be less likely to get waves over time. If you decide you want some cut to size fabric, there's a way to get around the screwy pricing. Should cost about 60% less than you may have been quoted plus about 85.00 shipping. If you decide you want to go that route, e-mail me and I'll get you the code number you need to give to the Projector Central guys. It's not their fault as the info cannot be found in the price list. On your screen, the fabric is stamped into a metal roller and you will have to cut around the triangular stamped areas to remove it. Doesn't sound like the cuts will need to be very big and it's certainly doable. There are no instruction available from Da-lite.

See ya

Rusty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Da lite info for Josten...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Da lite info for Josten...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks Rusty. You're the best.
by jostenmeat / December 2, 2008 2:37 AM PST

Unless it was super cheap, I would just use the material in my manual. I like the size its at.

The info I gleaned was from other hobbyists, specifically at AVS.

Thanks so much for the offer, and tips.

Since its pliable, I'd like to revisist a question I had earlier. Once the fabric suffered from "serious waves", is it too late already to flatten out, and attach to a fixed screen?

There is sort of a very large upright V in the screen. It disappears naturally. Well it disappears 99.99% of the time. I've asked several other viewers if they've ever noticed it, and the response has universally been no.

I've noticed it in a couple of scenes in No Country for Old Men, the fleeting scene in Walle when the desolated BnL shopping area is panned over, when Remy the rat discovers he is in Paris.

OTOH, for most movies, there is nothing discernable at all for me. The waving, when it does occur, is very subtle, even at my screen size. Terrible as it sounds, it is a pretty miniscule compromise for the PQ I get, and especially considering the size I get w/ PJ selected and low cost.

If this is as bad it gets, I'm happy as a plum. I'm just trying think long term.

Cheers, man.

Collapse -
I don't think it will get any worse over time...
by RustyDallas / December 2, 2008 11:00 PM PST

The weight of the fabric itself tends to pull the fabric out flat. Some screen manufacturers make a weighted bar that can be used in place of the standard bar at the bottom of the screen to help provide some tension. Da-lite doesn't and the screen maker I'm talking about doesn't sell an HP equivalent. At any time, if you decide to take the fabric out and mount on a frame, you'll be able to pull out any waves. I've never seen a home made framed screen before but I would think the main thing would be to use a great many staples, snaps or whatever so that it would be tight all the way around. Da-snap, etc. have snaps about every inch or so.

Other people will never notice the things that you notice. Were hobbyists but they're just there to watch a movie.

Rusty

Collapse -
Thanks man
by jostenmeat / December 3, 2008 1:47 AM PST

Your input is always appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?