TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

D.V.D. PICTURE QUALITY ISSUE

Every time I rent a new d.v.d. it seems picture quality gets worse. Just rented the new superman and it looked like a v.h.s tape . I sometimes think there is a problem until I slip in one of my older classic movies and find picture quality is stunning Mabey the movie studios are forcing us to go blue-ray. The only new releace that looks great is Star Wars whats going on? So sorry just killing time until my poker game starts in a few.Hope yopu all get a new Toshiba d.l.p. for xmas ha ha ha steweeeeeeeeeeee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D.V.D. PICTURE QUALITY ISSUE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D.V.D. PICTURE QUALITY ISSUE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New movies

In reply to: D.V.D. PICTURE QUALITY ISSUE

Stewart,

Your problem is that old 73" TV you have. You see, any movie that was made before that set was produced looks great, but the new movies just look awful. The only solution for you is to buy a new TV to watch those new movies. Of course the old movies will look bad on the new set, so you will have to expand your room and keep both.

Collapse -
HITMAN YOU ARE SO MEAN

In reply to: New movies

Its a year old and already a pice of junk. The only problem it still puts out a stunning picture and so far the fans , bulbs and wheels are still working In closing we are so spoiled, Just look back 40 years you had to repair those monsters every month you almost had to be a t.v. repair person just to own the darn thing This monster still looks better than the new walmart specials ha ha steweeeee

Collapse -
Tubes

In reply to: HITMAN YOU ARE SO MEAN

I remember pulling the tubes on the old sets and taking them to the store to check them. There were machines all over the place for self service tube checking. Thanks for the memories.

Collapse -
Dvd Talk Reviews website

In reply to: Tubes

Hey Stewart, funny you said that. I just saw the new super man movie and it got me curious about the dvd quality. Check out the dvd talk reviews website and it will tell you some of the reasons why the movie looks so bad. I like that website because most of the time they are pretty accurate about their dvd quality ratings. A lot of dvd review websites give movies perfect ratings even when the quality sucks. With that 73" tv, just thought you might want some help Happy

Collapse -
I've Googled for similar websites

In reply to: Dvd Talk Reviews website

with less than impressive results. Perhaps I glossed over some good info, but it's be nice if you'd post a link for that particular site.

Collapse -
Dvd review website

In reply to: I've Googled for similar websites

A lot of these kind of websites are worthless because they dont have a big selection of reviews and their reviews are just no good. Here is one that is worth a look. To each his own.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/index.php

Collapse -
Glad I bought this. . .

In reply to: D.V.D. PICTURE QUALITY ISSUE

I got a Samsung upconverting DVD/VCR combo with HDMI output for my Sony SXRD. Compared to a standard DVD player, even using its component cables left something to be desired. The new upconverter's picture is stunning. It was a hundred bucks at BB and worth every penny.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.