Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

D-Link Xtreme N wireless router crashes my Dell laptop

by Ladd Sievenpiper / March 11, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

Just bought Dir-655 Extreme N wireless router. When installed, it immediately crashes/shuts down "to prevent damage". Laptop is a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 600m Pentium M processor 1.6GHz with an internal Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 running Windows XP Home edition. Techical information in crashed window lists w22n51.sys. Laptop works fine if wireless router disabled, but if I plug it in, it crashes the laptop in 7 seconds ...every time.

I can't use my laptop at home! Initial two calls to D-link support says they never heard of this and to call back during week for "higher level help". The router says it is "Backward compatible" but I guess it isn't.
HELP! I seem to have bought a wireless computer death ray!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D-Link Xtreme N wireless router crashes my Dell laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D-Link Xtreme N wireless router crashes my Dell laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never heard of that either. But this means ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

That something is amiss with the laptop. Does it work at hotspots?

Collapse -
It works fine.
by Ladd Sievenpiper / March 11, 2007 5:04 AM PDT

It works fine everywhere. I had been using a DI-524 router, but it didn't even cover my house so replaced. After it crashed, I took laptop for repair. Checked out fine. Problematic hard disk. Did a mirror image install on new hard disk, then a "cold" new install of all programs. Worked fine in repair shop. Kept taking it back because it failed at home. Finally pulled plug on everything and it worked. Reconnected desktop, printers, etc. until i started the new router again and again crashed laptop (repeatedly). Laptop running fine just sitting there with no hardwire connection to anything dies in 7 seconds as the router powers up 30 feet away.

Collapse -
Need clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: It works fine.

Such as what's in the event viewer. Any "bad" wifi shouldn't crash Windows. But then again Windows was indeed crashable when it first rolled out.

-> I'd be looking at items such as the laptop wifi drivers, service packs, anything in that area. Your post is too light on details but we'll give it a try.

Another fine example was WPA2. You have to get a special patch in Vista I hear to use that.

Collapse -
Technical information on crashes from DIR-655 Xtreme N rout
by Ladd Sievenpiper / March 11, 2007 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Need clues.

Technical information on crash: on crash screen it says...
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (Ox313120E6,0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF7BA6708)
*** w22n51.sys - Address F7BA6708 base at F7B82000, Date Stamp 40054b01

On the Event viewer /system the system error is a Category (102) with error codes above.

The guru at local computer repair had these codes (sorry, they're gibberish to me)tried installing w22n51.sys on computer without benefit. (this preceeded the wiping clean and cold reinstall of all programs) ...Have Microsoft XP home edition sp2 and all all automatic upgrades.

Thanks for your interest, Bob.
I will continue to hound D-link for help as well. Perhaps I should also spring for an "N" level wireless "thing" for my laptop.

I must admit, the Xtreme N router does have the range I need for my laptop. The d-524 had trouble getting between floors, with this I can be 100 ft out in my yard and the "die command" works just fine. ;')

Collapse -
You're not the first to report this one. Links aplenty. Fix
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

Just copying from the Dell discussion forum in case the content vanishes.

"And on a supporting note to the ones below: some thinkpad folks are having problems with their Intel 2200 Pro wireless cards. It would appear in most cases that if you just load up the driver (forget the control applet) and use the Windows Wireless Zero configuration tool, then the card works just fine.

Re: BSOD/Stop error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: w22n51.sys
Message 5 of 10

Viewed 4754 times

Hey, thanks for all your replies!

I decided to first try and disable Intel's PRO Set software and see how Windows manages the network. IT worked! I fired up telenet, connected to my email server and punched in my username bracing for the BSOD... and it didn't happen! Checked my mail everything went OK. Then I launched All Seeing Eye and clicked the search button which produced a BSOD last time (it pings all active servers and gets some information about them) and that went fine as well.
Collapse -
Thank you very much!!

Took some time, but I got it fixed. Thank you so very much.
Still, the D-link Xtreme N's claim of "Backward compatible with 802.11g" doesn't ring true to me.
Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you very much!!

Thanks for working the issue with me. I didn't know about this bug till you asked.

Collapse -
by SaurusDino / April 6, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you very much!!

Hi Ladd;

How exactly did you fix the problem? I am having the same problem with a Gateway laptop, and it seems that the driver for the wireless built in card is causing all this mess. What exactly did you do to fix the problem???

Collapse -
Fixing the Wireless Router "Death Ray"
by Ladd Sievenpiper / April 6, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Help!!!

On my Dell laptop I have an Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network connector. The Wireless router killed the laptop (blue screen of death) each time it powered up the laptop. (However, you can certainly check the range of the wireless system by seeing how far you can be from the base and have your laptop die. I have no idea if there are people in my neighborhood who can't figure out their dead laptops!)

The solution was to temporarily disconnect the new wireless router, make a hardwire connection to the internet with the laptop and Log into the Intel website. On the site, search for updated drivers for the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 network connector. You have to select for your particular computer system(Windows XP home edition for example)and download new drivers for the laptop wireless connector. My origional driver was an 8.something. I got a 9.something and I see there is now an 11. series driver. Download an updated driver and install.

It now works like a charm.

The hard part was figuring out the concept of what was wrong. It was the CNET guru that save the day. I am now truly a CNET believer - not that I wasn't before.(The computer repair place I used couldn't figure it out because my laptop worked fine there and died at home. My calls to d-link were also not fruitful.)

Hope it works, but I'm sure it will.

Collapse -
how to get passed the setup screen
by SaurusDino / April 7, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

Hi Ladd,

Thanks for your quick reply. What I don't understand to get pass the setup screen? My laptop crashes before I finish win xp setup and I can't log in to search and update the driver? So...disabling wirless routers is the trick?

Collapse -
how I did it
by mrblacksmith / June 20, 2007 5:47 PM PDT

absolutely fantasic. I had the same problems, my Dell Precision M60 (2+ years old) crashed with blue screen at the moment the router was set up. I even didn't set it up using the laptop, but another machine. The laptop has a Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network connector and I had v8 of the drivers. I downloaded v11 and not it works fine.

I booted in safe mode and disabled the "Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network connector" using the "hardware/unit-manager" (can't remember the english word for it, I'm using swedish XP Pro). I then booted as normal and connected to the DLink DIR-655 using a DLink DWA-140 USB Wireless Mini Adapter. I downloaded the drivers from and installed them. The istallation of the driver automatically enabled the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network connector again, and sudenly everything works perfect.

I can now have both the internal Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network connector and the DWA-140 stick connected and they get an IP each.

Huge thanks to you all for helping out with this!!

Collapse -
Bad Dlink
by mfcollins23 / July 2, 2007 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: how I did it

Thanks for the posts. Same problem here with the Dlink DIR-655 and my IBM T42. It's actually quite amazing that as soon as the two antennas find each other, it just dies. I can't remember a computer problem so reproducible. Called Dlink tech support and it was horrible. This should be an FAQ on their homepage by now. Horrible, horrible support.

Collapse -
Good Dlink.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad Dlink

Because Dell had a bad driver I don't expect Dlink to know about this. Please consider taking the problem to those that created it.

It was not Dlink...

Collapse -
Another Good DLink
by mrblacksmith / July 7, 2007 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad Dlink

I must agree with Bob above - this was not a DLink problem and they shall not get the blame. Still it wouldn't be to much to ask for to have a note about this problem in the Q&A for the DIR-655.

Anyway, I just want to say that I have had a very nice experience with the DIR-655. After I fixed the driver problem described above, I had problems with the WAN-link going up and down, disconnecting more and more often. After some tests I ended up with buying a new ADSL modem (as I suspected the WAN port on the modem to be broke) and now it works as a charm.

Thus, 2 problems but neither a DLink problem.

I have set up numerous DLink routers the last years and some have had problems with Wifi links etc, but this time I bought 4 (four) DIR-655's at once (office, home, colleagues) and all of them work perfectly. No problems with disconnects after updates of drivers, and extremely good wifi performance.

So, I'm a pleased and happy DIR-655 owner who very much can recommend the product!

Collapse -
password access poins
by ruftas2 / July 3, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

i think its a problem with password protected access points, i have the same problem bt when accessing passworded areas..

Collapse -
More weird D-**** / Dell issues
by jnstahl / October 21, 2007 5:12 PM PDT

I would like to pick this thread up again. I just got a new Dell D630 with a Dell Wireless 1390 card. If I connect to the wireless network at home (DLINK DIR-655) router, the connection works for like 15 seconds and then the laptop freezes entirely. No Blue Screen, no Events in the log, just a hard freeze. The weird thing is, I also have a new D520 with a Wireless 1390 card which works fine, and the D630 seems to be working fine in other wireless networks at work, at hotspots and at my folk's house. It is just the combination of DIR-655, D630 and 1390 card that has issues. I already tried 'downgrading' the DIR-655 to 'g', and I did all the firmware and driver updates I could think of. At this point I am really desperate.

Collapse -
I'm running a wired D-link DGE530T, suggestions
by Dango517 / October 21, 2007 5:45 PM PDT

Have you run the diagnostics program? How about disabling the other non-D-Link card/chip and see what happens. Have you contacted your IP to see if there having trouble? Have them run tests on the connection to make sure it's working correctly.

Collapse -
Not tracking this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2007 10:47 PM PDT

Putting your message in an old discussion on page 2 makes it too difficult to track and read. Your choice here.

Collapse -
When I log on I didn't notice I was on page 2
by Dango517 / October 22, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Not tracking this one.

I think Bobs asking if you want to start a new thread or continue here? Your call.

If anyone is still tracking here's an interesting tail of D-link. When I first bought and installed my D-link ethernet adapter card I immediately went to there site to get a new driver. I found the site and began the down load. It failed and failed and failed again so I disabled my firewall thinking that might help and it did. After installing the driver my anti-virus software went off saying I had contacted a virus. The site had been a Trojan. Good Iolo! I notified them and they sent me the driver via Microsoft. The Trojan looked exactly like the original. We can't be to careful out there.

I'm very happy with my D-link by the way. It was $30.00 on special and has really sped up my net surfing. The best thirty buck I've spent on my computer. Really big improvement. This ones hard wired, is a 10/100/1000 with one GB of memory. I can back peddle through pages nearly endlessly at very high speeds with it and forward speed has improved as well. 5 of 5 stars.

Collapse -
Did you ever find a solution?
by NuclearBier / January 26, 2008 3:07 AM PST

I too am having this exact same issue. I have also upgraded every firmware and BIOS I can think of and still NO FRIGGIN DICE! I contacted Dell and at first they said it must be a problem with the router. I told them that I have 7 other wireless devices on the network that have 0 issues. This laptop was the only one. I can take the D630 to friends house or hotspots like you say and it works great. Dell says they have escalated my issue to Level 2 support and that they have a meeting every Wednesday to discuss technical issues such as this. They also said someone would get back to me later next week. They had no known compatibility problems between the DIR-655 and the Latitude D630 on record... So please contact them and push the issue so we both can get this resolved. I love this router and don't want to go buy another one already.

Collapse -
How are you trying to connect
by PudgyOne / January 26, 2008 3:34 AM PST

Using Intel ProSet Wireless or having Windows manage your connection.

Intel Proset Wireless version 11 is a problem.

Download this version

After the download is complete, un-install Intel ProSet wireless. Don't keep anything.

Restart your computer.

Install the version you downloaded,

Restart your computer. You'll have to enter your passkey/password again.

Now what do you get.

Collapse -
URL correction
by PudgyOne / January 26, 2008 3:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?