Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems

First off, I will state that I have spoken with D-Link 1st level tech support and 2nd level tech support on the phone, searched all over support.dlink.com, searched many hardware forums, searched newsgroups, and have searched search engines, but I haven't been able to resolve my problem. I have a D-Link DWL-G650 802.11g wireless card (revision H/W Ver.: B3) and a D-Link DI-624 802.11g router (revision H/W Ver.:C1). To sum things up... they have never worked together since I purchased them. I can pickup the router's signal with my laptop / wireless card, which gets 100% signal strength and 100% link quality. The problem is that I can't seem to get it to pull an IP from the router (with DHCP enabled) and I can't ping anything internal or external (router, my other wired desktop computer, and websites). I can't browse to any websites at all. The wireless card sees the router and the router sees the wireless card. I can go into the router configuration and check for the presence of the connection from under "status" (top tab), and then "wireless" (button on left) and it sees my laptop when the laptop is on and connected. I just can't get it to do anything from there.

Both products are upgraded with the latest drivers/firmware. The router is running 2.28 and wireless card is running 2.46, although the router came loaded with 2.25 and the wireless card came with 2.36, which didn't work out of the box. I have messed around with all sorts of configuration options including trying to setup static IP, static subnet, static gateway, and static primary DNS. I check to make sure that the SSID matches on the router and the wireless configuration tools and they do (keeping in mind that they are case sensitive). I only show one connection listed under network connections (wireless network connection) and no bridges or anything. I only show one wireless network in the wireless configuration utility, which is my network. I have also disabled the "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" option in the wireless network connection properties.

I don't consider myself to be a networking expert, but I have a fair amount of experience (most of which is with wired networks, but a little with a few wireless networks that I have setup for friends). I think that something is either causing the router to have a problem assigning the wireless card an IP with DHCP or the wireless card isn't retrieving the IP, although I could be completely wrong and I haven't had this type of problem before with any wireless networks that I have worked with.

I have a desktop computer that is also connected to the router via a wired network cable (also running Windows XP Pro, same as the laptop). The desktop is pulling an IP address from the router dynamically (using DHCP) and is currently assigned to 192.168.0.100 (IP range on router is setup for 192.168.0.100 ? 192.168.0.199). The desktop computer is functioning perfectly and I couldn't be happier about that aspect. I have also powered off the desktop and only had the laptop on to see if it was a conflict between the two computers, but that didn't help.

I believe the laptop should be assigned to 192.168.0.101, but that's not happening. Even when I assign it manually in the laptop's TCP/IP settings, I still can't ping anything. When I have the IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS setup manually (static) and I go to the command prompt to type ?ipconfig?, everything lists how it should, but I can?t ping anything (internal or external). When I have the IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS setup to generate dynamically, I get an IP that is listed as 169.254.211.20 and subnet of 255.255.0.0 (which isn?t even listed in my router?s allowed range of IP addresses).

Does anyone know if Windows XP SP1 and the 826942 XP wireless update rollup package is required in order to get the DWL-G650 wireless card to work properly? I would hope that the card would work fine without them, since I can't get my laptop online to download them yet. The wireless card is my only means of going online with the laptop. I have an older laptop that doesn't have a built in NIC and I don't own a PCMCIA NIC... see below for my laptop specs.

I have an IBM I-Series 1400 laptop. It's about 3-4 years old but has been a real trooper of a laptop and has been upgraded on the amount of memory it has to help it run a little faster (came with 32MB, now has 256MB). The laptop has a 433 MHZ processor, 5GB HD, 24X CD-ROM, built in 56K modem, floppy drive, USB port. It was designed to run Windows 98 and came loaded with it. I upgraded the memory and am now running Windows XP Pro on it.

I know that after mentioning how old my laptop is someone is going to ask if I checked to even see if my PCMCIA slot supports 32-Bit cards or only 16-Bit cards. I know that is must because the card can at least see the router and claims that it has made a connection. But I did check to see if laptop supports 32-Bit cards anyway since I've had problems. I read somewhere that to check this you can do the following (in Windows XP)...

1. Right click on "My Computer" on your desktop and select "properties" from the menu that pops up.
2. Click on the "hardware" tab.
3. Click the "device manager" button.
4. Click on the "+" symbol listed by "PCMCIA adapters" to expand the listings under that type of hardware.
5. If you see anything listed under PCMCIA adapters that lists "CardBus", then it supports 32-Bit cards.

My laptop has listed "O2Micro OZ6812 CardBus Controller". I'm also curious if anyone else has my same cardbus controller and knows if there is anything specific to it that could cause the problem.

At this point, I am not sure what else to try. Sorry this post is so lengthy, but I wanted to be sure to cover everything I have done so that no one has to suggest anything I already tried. I feel like I have spent all of my resources at this point and I am wide open to any suggestions that anyone could possibly offer. My window for returning both of these products to the online retail website that I purchased them from to get a refund is running out and I would like to see them work together before I am forced to return both of them and go to another brand of wireless networking products. After too long they won't take them back. If time starts running thin and I am still unable to get them to work, I will have to return them (which will cost me return shipping and a 15% restocking fee). If this happens, I will definitely be going to another brand of wireless products. I really hope to get this resolved soon. I don?t really want to return them, since I had read such good things about D-Link wireless products (range, throughput, etc.).

If I have to go to another brand of wireless products, I will probably go to the Netgear WGT624 (see this performance review? http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3244_7-5089477.html). It?s supposed to perform about equal and have similar features (although unfortunately costs a fair bit more). Does anyone have any other good performance comparison review links that I would like?

Thank you for any help that you can provide!!!

Dustin Cowell
Email: dustincowell@netzero.com
(NetZero is not my ISP, just my email service)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems

In reply to: D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems

Collapse -
(NT) Just a FYI. I often don't repeat items from the product setup manuals. Such as enabling WiFi in some setup screen of the WAP. Some fault me for not repeating what's in the manuals.

Collapse -
Re: D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems

Hi Dustin,

Did you ever get this working? I recently (1 1/2 weeks ago) purchasedthe same combination of goodies (figuring it should be problem free if you have D-Link all around), and have tried to set it up on a Thinkpad i1400 (2621-460), no luck so far. I have found some article in the meantime claiming some compatibility problems between Atheros drivers and O2Micro cardbusses, but that is about as far as I got. Before I spend the money for yet another card, I would love to hear if you by now have a working wireless setup?

Thanks,
Karl

Collapse -
Just noting...

In reply to: Re: D-Link DWL-G650 & D-Link DI-624 connection problems

Windows XP does NOT install proper motherboard or PC-Card drivers. Microsoft doesn't do "drivers." It's a repeating issue that is often misread as "some compatibility problems between Atheros drivers and O2Micro cardbus".

This is an area of grey'ish support since Microsoft doesn't own the issue, Dlink doesn't own it, and your laptop maker is far out of warranty to talk to you for free.

But the motherboard and chipset driver issue is the most common reason I see for this headache.

If you need SP1 for XP, then just order FREE CD of XP's SP2 and that solves the download problem. Just to note that I did run into yet another XP pirate last weekend and they couldn't install SP1 and were badmouthing Microsoft about it. Sadly this issue spreads mis-information about the base issue and I couldn't help them either.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just noting...

In reply to: Just noting...

Collapse -
Windows 2000 is the same issue.

In reply to: Re: Just noting...

You may find that some specific card will not like some PC-Card chipset. The proof will be in the cards when you swap it out and it just works.

But having done too many scorched Earth OS installs, Windows 2000 has the same motherboard and chipset support driver issue. Microsoft doesn't do these drivers well.

Bob

Collapse -

My experience -
Bought the DI-624 a few months ago along with a DWL-G650 for my wife's laptop (Dell Inspirion 1100). My Pavilion has built in wireless.

A couple of days ago I bought another DWL-G650 for my Dad's laptop.

I've never had ANY problems getting all of them connected. Worked just fine following the manual instructions.

Connected to the LAN ports of the routher I have a Desktop unit and a USB print server.

I know this doesn't address your problems but wanted to let you know that I had sucess using the same config. as you. Good luck.

Collapse -

I know, there are great working examples out there, hence I always assumed D-Link would be an alround good buy. Trust me, before this weekend I had no idea what a cardbus controller is, but one learns, I guess. Admittedly, the Thinkpad has a few years on it, so I shouldn't complain too much, but it still irks me. Apparently your Inspiron runs on a Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller, so I wouldn't expect the problem to replicate here. May be there aren't too many O2Micro cardbusses out there....

Collapse -

Just as a little follow-up, I received an e-mail today from O2Micro, letting me know that there are hardware incompatibilities with the OZ6812 CardBus, which is precisely what the Thinkpad i1400 has (at least the 2621-460 I have). Apparently there is hope if it is actually an OZ6912, but the older OZ6812 is pretty much useless. I have since returned my D-Link DWL-G650, so I am unable to confirm that, but I have ordered an SMC card, and will post once I know whether that works or not.

Collapse -
That's very nice to read. I always appreciate such efforts.

Thank you in advance.

Just sharing that yesterday I pulled a NEW Dlink DWL-900AP+ out the box and I was not happy. It just didn't work the WUSB11 that I had on hand at the time.

After a cup of coffee I headed back to see if I could figure it out.

This time, I updated the WUSB11's firmware. Same terrible results.

-> Next I updated the DWL-900AP+'s firmware and it all came to life as if nothing was the matter.

It's a shame that the vendors are shipping product that won't work out of the box.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's very nice to read. I always appreciate such effo

In reply to: That's very nice to read. I always appreciate such efforts.

OK, so that worked out well: Bought and installed one SMC - SMC2635W 802.11b card, and things are running very nicely, indeed. No major installation problems, connecting to the D-Link router just fine, I am a happy and untethered guy.

Also received an e-mail from O2Micro, which recommended the D-Link DWL-G630 card. This is based on the Marvell chipset and is supposed to work just fine with OZ6812 based systems.

With any luck someone else will be able to make good use of that piece of information.

Cheers,
Karl

Collapse -
Just picked up a pair of these.

In reply to: Re: That's very nice to read. I always appreciate such effo

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=11WP-611AL

There are only 802.11b, but get this. 8.99 each on their midnight madness sale. Just in time since my kids made off with my Linksys WUSB-11.

It works on an 233MHz Compaq, and tomorrow I see if my old Acer p3-600 will take one.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.