Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

d-link dsd 150 secure spot

by andynjulie / April 2, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

with dsd 150 already connected. are laptops still protected when away from the network. OR how do I run a separate antivirus for the laptops when away from secure spot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: d-link dsd 150 secure spot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: d-link dsd 150 secure spot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's no protection at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

There was some that thought that while you were on a LAN you didn't need AV or firewalls. Sadly this is not true with Windows machines.

-> Since such is free, why would we go without protection?

Collapse -
dsd-150 and antiviruses
by andynjulie / April 2, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

so then how do I run an antivirus software for a laptop when it is detatched from the safespot network at home.

Collapse -
Same way you do when attached.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

Tell us exactly why you think you have antivirus protection only when on your own network.

You're the first poster I've ever seen make a claim the home network is a "safespot."

Collapse -
d-link dsd 150 safespot security device
by andynjulie / April 2, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

this adapter I am talking about is a total network security device. its attatched between the modem and router. it secures the network. my network is a desktop two laptops and a itouch. I am wondering, if the laptops and or the itouch is used away from the s-link device, how do I run an antivirus on these portable computers.. if its possible. I am assuming I can: disable the antivirus when I'm connected to the network, and enable the antivirus when I'm away. is this posible,

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2009 9:06 AM PDT

Note that:
-> The firewall protection is only applicable if the computers are connected to the internet through that device. Otherwise, you're not protected.
-> The antivirus protection from McAfee must be installed on each computer. That will work even when your computers are not connected to that device.
-> You should never disable your antivirus protection, even when connected to that device.
-> You should always use a need to install a software firewall for use when you're away from the D-Link device.

Collapse -
re: dsd- 150, THanks!
by andynjulie / April 2, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but...

thats about what I thought. thanks. things are running great. this gagets pretty neat. seems to secure the home network. I'll keep antivirus running when I'm disconnected from the network. thanks.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?