Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

D-LINK dissapointments (any suggestions?)

by pure_c / November 22, 2004 8:52 AM PST

Does anyone have this router, and if so are you experiencing the same ?problems? (If that?s what they are). Ok, here?s what happens. I get random connection drops, sometimes when there IS a connection, it is very slow along the lines of 56k! I know that there isn?t a problem with the laptop I?m using because when I use other networks, say my neighbors or some other random person a block away, I get a very good connection. I called customer support and they ?fixed? the problem, (it was even worse), but after five minutes the connection starts acting up again. I did secure the network by adding a network key and that didn?t work either. So I?m considering just buying a different router and throwing this one in the garbage since I can?t take this one back because it?s been more than a month already since I got it. So what should I do, any suggestions would be appreciated, thank out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D-LINK dissapointments (any suggestions?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D-LINK dissapointments (any suggestions?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: D-LINK dissapointments (any suggestions?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 10:56 AM PST

Mine was fit for the dumpster until I updated the firmware. I feel it's a shame that consumers have to do this.

bob

Collapse -
by larrybell / November 22, 2004 11:07 AM PST

Well...

As Bob Profitt would say, you didn't say what model router you have, what operating system you are using, or even what type of internet connection you are using. Without this information, it is hard to give much help.

AND he would tell you that even though you bought the router NEW, they often need firmware upgrades right our of the box.

But since you DO say that you don't have any (or much) trouble with your laptop on other networks you have tried, a check for a firmware upgrade is a reasonable course of action.

And I would presume that a direct connection to the internet (bypassing the router) doesn't cause the problems you indicate.

So try a firmware upgrade for the router. But I thought that I read on some of the other threads that Dlink wireless routers had some problems Dlink hasn't addressed.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by larrybell / November 22, 2004 11:08 AM PST

Rats, I hoped I would beat him to the punch. Guess I don't type fast enough....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Breaking that mind link now...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 11:21 AM PST
Collapse -
by radioactive1 / November 23, 2004 1:15 PM PST

D-liner makes a fine product, so although I know how frustrated you must be, there's a pretty good chance that the problem has to do with the way you either have the router configured, the wireless card configured, or both.

I had a similar problem when I first set up my network with a Belkin 54g router and it took me a while to figure out the problem. You didn't say if you had an 11mb or 54g router.

Go back and check all of the recommended settings that D-link recommended in the router and especially pay attention to see if you have a setting called something like "wireless mode". Most routers (and cards) offer several different settings such as 54g only 11mb only, auto, etc. You might experiement with these settings to see if it helps. For a long time I couldn't figure out why my 54g network was only connecting at 11mbps....it was this setting on my wireless card that solved the problem. The best thing to do is simply trial and error. Try one setting, see if it helps, wait awhile, then try the next one.

Also, some routers have a "turbo mode" checking this setting seems to help as well.

Good Luck,

RadioActive1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?