Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

D-Link DI-624 router just set up - need security help

by DG / May 29, 2004 1:05 PM PDT

Hi,
I have just bought and set up a D-link DI-624 Cable wireless router, and it works great with my wired desktop, and 2 wireless laptops.

However, now my concern is security. I want to set up WPA and MAC-filtering, so that only the three computers I have are "recognized", and I don't know how to go about doing that. I don't want to mess up my laptop's configurations becaue I use them both for work.

Any help, pointers and gotcha's will be most appreciated - being a networking-newbie, nothing will be too basic!

Thanks! DG

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D-Link DI-624 router just set up - need security help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D-Link DI-624 router just set up - need security help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:D-Link DI-624 router just set up - need security help
by Michael Geist / May 29, 2004 2:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
D-Link DI-624
by NLR Kathy / December 16, 2004 8:58 PM PST

I also just setup a D-Link. What Security Steps did you take besides WEP enablement on your router? I read the manual, no information just jumped out to help

Collapse -
suggestions
by Dick White / December 16, 2004 10:40 PM PST

I don't have that model, so I can't tell you step 1 step 2 step 3, just some general suggestions.

Go one step at a time. Work from the wired desktop so you always have connectivity to the router. Before starting, learn where the factory reset button is on the router - if you get completely bolloxed and can't figure out the now-invisible password you just put in, you can always reset the router to the original factory default and start over. Get the passwords spelled correctly and with the proper CAPS or lower case characters in the same places all around (you'd be surprised the number of people I've helped that had the word right, but the case different on the client, and fought with it for hours...). Start with the easy method (i.e, try WEP first, then "upgrade" to WPA). Get the first laptop fully configured and operating with the encryption, and then you can do the second one 1-2-3 after you've learned from all your mistakes on the first one. Save the MAC filtering for last, as that step is all or nothing. Prior to turning on the MAC filtering, you'll still be able to get in on the first laptop while you fiddle with the second one. Good luck with it, but allot yourself more time than you think you'll need.

dw

Collapse -
i have the same model
by philbernie / December 19, 2004 10:08 PM PST

i would suggest experimenting with one thing at a time. I would start out with changing the authentication settings to the wireless router.

On one of the computer that has connection to the router, type 192.168.0.1 in the browser's address bar. The router's config page will come up. Since you're going to be using this page a lot, you might want to bookmark the page for easy access.

On the config page, select "HOME" tab and then select "WIRELESS" on the left column. Find Authentication: WPA-PSK and select that. Provide a "passphrase" and make sure you confirm it. It can be any phrase you want to use. Check apply and you're done setting up the router.

Now you have to setup your computer's D-link Utility to match exactly the same authentication. I'm working on a DWL-650 wireless utility and I'm hoping you have the same. Open the utility page and click on "site survey" on the left column. In the middle of the page, you should see all the available network. Select default network and then click on "configure" on the right column. The config page will come up. In the authentication pull down menu list, select WPA-PSK, then select "authentication config". When the advanced security settings comes up, in the WPA PASSPHRASE field, type the passphrase you used earlier in the router's config. Hit OK and that's it for that page.

Now go back to the utility page and find profile in the middle column. you should see a "default" profile. Select that and click on "connect" on the right column. If you see a circle on the small icon just to the left of default, then you've secured your computer.

Basically, whatever you do to the router's config, you have to do exactly the same to the NIC's utility page. If it fails and you have to restore default on the router, there's a small hole in the back of the router. Press a small pin into it for 10 seconds and it will restore the default setting, that is, no security of any kind. Let me know if this helps. Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!