General discussion

D drive says full

Not too computer saavy about drives.
My C drive which I always use is getting full, so I am going thru and deleting, etc.
but just hit "properties" on my D drive and it is almost full too....how do I delete that stuff........
help, please
my system is rather slow, that is why I started looking into this.
LWard

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: D drive says full
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: D drive says full
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: d-drive full

Deleting stuff from the d-drive (I assume that's a hard disk also, not a CD or DVD or USB-stick) is just the same as deleting from the c:-drive. Use the delete-key in My Computer or Windows Explorer or choose 'delete' from the right click menu.

Speed of the system generally is not related to how full the disk is. If it is, it must have other causes.

Kees

- Collapse -
d drive full

Thanks for your reponse...I will try that.
I have alot of pictures on my computer which I have been putting on CD's and deleting from system....but still slow.....any other ideas?? I have run, disk cleanup, defrag, etc
LWard

- Collapse -
Re: slow computer

The basic causes for a slow computer are:
1. too many programs running at the same time
2. not enough RAM for all the programs that need to be running
3. not fast enough CPU
4. hard disk in PIO mode in stead of DMA mode

The solutions:
1. See what programs from the Startup tab of MSCONFIG don't need to be active; uncheck them. Check for malware. Finally check the active processes in Task Manager to see if there's anything that shouldn't be there.
2. Add RAM
3. Buy another PC.
4. Switch it back to DMA.

Kees

- Collapse -
Exactly how many hard drives do you have

and how much free space is there on each.

Don't know what the number is but systems usually don't run well without plenty of free disk space. Maybe you should consider adding another hard drive.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Here's is what I have

Compaq Presario
Windows XP
AMD 64 Athion

currently my C drive has:

132GB used space
45 GB free space

my D drive has:

8.07 GB used
493 MB Free
not sure if that is way full or not.......

if I need an additional hard drive what do I ask for......\
thanks
LWArd

- Collapse -
Be CAREFUL deleting from the D: drive ...

because depending on the computer make and model (which you haven't mentioned) the D: drive might contain your system recovery files.

If you do not know you might take a look at the files and folders shown on the D: drive and tell us along with the make and model of the computer.

It would be a shame to blow away the capability to return your system to factory config should the need arise.

- Collapse -
D drive

I have a C and D drive only
the D drive had extra files of pics and personal stuff....not sure how it got there
cause I only save stuff to C drive.
but I deleted most of it.........and left the RECOVERY on there........
i did not delete that.

- Collapse -
PIO vs. DMA

where do i go to check if it is set on pio or dma.??
and how do i change it....
thanks

- Collapse -
DMA.

CNET Forums

Forum Info