Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

"D" drive

by azbzdz / March 5, 2005 4:42 AM PST

When I enter a brand new CD-R and go to Properties the drive space shows FULL!! The computer doesn't recognise it and asks for a disc to be inserted but when I press "eject" the disc is ejected from the drive ! What is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "D" drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "D" drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: "D" drive

Here's a CDR FAQ for you to begin learning how CDR and recording works.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Also, please report if the forum tip isn't showing when you post. It reads -> Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 5, 2005 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: That's proper!

I am running Me - 256MB Athlon processor. Toshiba DVD-ROM Sd-R1002

Collapse -
Windows ME has no native CD-R support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 5:56 AM PST

As such, what will be reported is 0 bytes free.

Again, proper...

Bob

Collapse -
Ummm.
by Bob__B / March 5, 2005 6:53 AM PST

This maybe an apple/orange thing since I use w98 but.

If I put a blank cdr in my writer unit and then look at properties (which I'd never done before)I see 0MB used and 648MB free.

It does not seem to matter whether I have my writer software loaded or not.

As of a couple of days ago the writer worked fine.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what the poster is asking.

Collapse -
"D" Drive
by azbzdz / March 5, 2005 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Ummm.

I cannot write a Cd as it doesn't recognise a Cd in the drive as been empty . The properties always state no free space !

Collapse -
It appears you are not reading about CD recording.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: "D" Drive

Since Windows ME doesn't offer ANY native cd recording feature and you have yet to reveal what you use, NOTHING IS BROKEN yet.

Try this software -> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

It has a media information button which should tell you what the state of that blank media is.

Bob

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 5, 2005 5:29 PM PST

I have read the FAQ for about 5 hours but still don't understand how to fix the problem of getting my empty Cd's to load.

Collapse -
It's normal
by glb613 / March 5, 2005 7:33 PM PST

Don't worry about it.

Collapse -
D Drive
by azbzdz / March 5, 2005 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: It's normal

But I can't use it !! i can't load any data onto disc seeing as I keep getting a message to load a disc when there is already a disc in!!

Collapse -
You are starting to reveal your "problem".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: D Drive

In your first post your issue was stated as one thing.

Now you are revealing what your real issue is. It appears your CD recording software is complaining about the disk.

It's sad to see all this dialogue and only now are we beginning to read about your issue.

Think about it and write about what problem you are having since ... so far... The CDR showing 0 bytes free is proper operation for this OS.

Bob

Collapse -
D "Drive"
by azbzdz / March 6, 2005 1:06 AM PST

All I want to do is save some files from Documents onto a Cd But I can't, as I keep getting the message 'Please insert disc into drive D' when I already have done so.

Collapse -
This OS can't do this!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: D "Drive"

Windows ME has no feature to write to said drive or media.

Again, while I've written such, I must repeat this till you understand that to write to such drive and media, you add software such as Nero, Roxio or other.

To show you can have such for free and record to said drive, I did note the free and compatible CDBurnerXP which you should have used to see the CDR media status.

If you don't do this then I fear you will end up at some service counter.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What CD burning program are you using?
by glb613 / March 6, 2005 6:57 AM PST
Collapse -
D "Drive"
by azbzdz / March 6, 2005 7:26 AM PST

Real

Collapse -
"Real" and Window ME... Neither offer...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 7:47 AM PST

Neither the Real software or Windows ME do not offer the feature you are trying to attempt.

Bob

Collapse -
"D" Drive
by azbzdz / March 6, 2005 8:33 AM PST

I have been saving data and photos onto cd'sto disc for ages now and haven't changed anything in the computer and never had any bother previously.

Collapse -
So far, you have yet to note a software that adds...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 8:55 AM PST

This feature to Windows ME. I can list a few that do such, but it is not uncommon for such software to stop functioning.

And if the owner doesn't know the name of the software that provided such a feature, then they do go in circles like you have.

Again, no "Real" software or Windows ME provides this feature. Look to see what Roxio, Adaptec, Nero or other software that you find on your PC. And ... the CDR FAQ does note these softwares. Hint: Packet Writing...

Bob

Collapse -
"D" Drive
by azbzdz / March 6, 2005 11:38 PM PST

I downloaded the www.cdburnerxp.se as you suggested but how can i open it ? I tried with windows media player and the " format not supported message "appears.

Collapse -
CDBurnerXP is a recording application.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 11:50 PM PST

It does not add recording capabilty to windows media player.

You appear to be all over the map here. Let me be clear that these applications would add support to use a CDRW as a disk drive to Windows ME. These are Nero's INCD, Roxio's DirectCD, HP's DLA, FileCD and there are a few others.

Windows Media Player at one time used software from Roxio, but has been known to fail. I haven't found WMP to be easy to fix so I offer no support for that but can use other software to do nearly the same thing.

Have someone show you have to record a CDR or CDRW with CD recording software.

Bob

Collapse -
You need a basic lesson or course in how to make a CD
by glb613 / March 7, 2005 4:58 AM PST

Apparently you have never used the CD burning software supplied with the computer or burner you have. I'd suggest doing a Google search. There is a lot of information online to help you.

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 7, 2005 5:49 AM PST

I have made lots of cd's and keep all my photos on them but now all of a sudden I am unable to follow the same route as I've been using for ages !

Collapse -
The name of that route?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 6:17 AM PST

While you've done this before, it was with the aid of "some software title" that you have yet to reveal.

It's known that Windows ME doesn't provide this feature and titles were supplied in hopes of jogging your memory.

Hope you remember what software title it was.

Bob

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 7, 2005 6:26 AM PST

Real player 10

Collapse -
Real Player 10 does not provide this feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 6:57 AM PST

Here's what you'll have to do. Go get BELARC ADVISOR from google.com and supply what it reports minus any CD-KEY information.

It's very clear you don't remember the title.

Bob

Collapse -
EDITED out the license keys! Deleted the original post....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 8:34 PM PST

Software Licenses [Back to Top]

Belarc - Advisor 7f15f253
CISRA - Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX Canon ZoomBrowser
Microsoft - Internet Explorer
Microsoft - MediaPlayer
Microsoft - MediaPlayer
Microsoft - MS Office 97 Professional
Microsoft - Windows Millennium Edition

Software Versions [Back to Top]
Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 5.0.0.0 *
Adobe Acrobat Version 4.05 *
Apple Computer, Inc. - QuickTime QuickTime 5.0.2 *
Banner Blue Software Incorporated - Microsoft Organization Chart Version 2,0,0,1016 *
Belarc, Inc. - BelManage Client Version 6.1f *
BroadJump - CorrectConnect Version 1,1,1,0 *
Canon Utilities PhotoStitch Launcher Version 3.1.2 *
Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 4.90.3000.1 *
Common Group - Watch Dog Version 2, 3, 2, 7 *
Eastman Software, Inc., A Kodak Business - Imaging for Windows

Collapse -
Sorry, I see Kazaa and another P2P there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 8:43 PM PST

"Sharman Networks - Kazaa Version 3, 0, 0, 0 *" and that other P2P software means that you may never see an end to your woes. As it stands I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Maybe no one told you what happens with Kazaa and such software on a machine, but we see it all the time.

As to what software that would provide the function you used to use, there is no sign of it on that list. I was hoping to see it, but either I missed it or it's a new one I haven't seen before.

As it stands, there is no software to provide direct use of CDR or CDRW by drag and drop. To use your CDRW drive you have to do so with applications such as CDBurnerXP or others.

Also, since you have Kazaa and another P2P software on the machine, I must bid you goodbye since such machines are more trouble than they are worth. I know that sounds mean but I don't like spending an hour (s?) with a machine that is on what is the crack cocaine of software. If you can help the machine kick the habit, that's great.

But it still leaves that one issue which isn't that big an issue. If you use CDBurnerXP and a CDRW disk, you can erase and record files to such a disk or explore multisessions to save your files.
Since you can save files to your CDRW files with the application noted, why not learn to use a new way?

Bob

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 8, 2005 12:43 AM PST

Thank you for your help - I am sorry if I seem slow at this game but I am !! I shall send for someone to come to my home and sort it out for me - The computer is hopeless to me if it doesn't recognise a disc in the drive - I can't send any information when all it states is "Please insert disk into "D" drive, can I . Thanks once again , I have done my best and you have been most patient.

Collapse -
You could fix it yourself... If you installed...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2005 12:53 AM PST

Nero and it's InCD.

What this entire thread has been about is to find out what you had before so you could either fix or reinstall it.

As it stands, no such software was found, even with that Belarc Advisor output, no remnant of any such software was found.

Calling someone out may cost dearly. If this was me, and I didn't have the PC skill to find and fix what I had, I'd buy NERO and install it. Usually much cheaper than a service call.

Bob

Collapse -
"D" drive
by azbzdz / March 8, 2005 1:40 AM PST

Thanks for that,bye

Collapse -
Bad disk or drive ?
by billzhills / March 8, 2005 2:26 AM PST

Followed this post thur and did not see a bad disk or drive mentioned.

If the drive and disk are good then your burning application has been broken by the Pests or a cracker you have let into your system.

Luck

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?