Desktops forum

General discussion

CyberPowerPC class action lawsuit. It may involve you.

by freaknyea / January 22, 2008 10:11 PM PST

I recently purchased a computer from CyberPowerPC. My fault for not reseaarching the company a little more, but their ratings are horrible and have had multiple complaints that they do not resolve. When I received my computer I noticed the video card was a crappy older OEM version of the card I should have received.

CyberPowerPC mislead the buyer. They advertised one thing and sent another. On top of that they still tell me they sent me the right product. Basically, I have had an attorney write them a letter, contacted the BBB, Attorney general from my state and theirs, FTC, and I have had no luck with this company. They just send back misleading information that one might think logical if they didn't know what the product is.

Check your system. You most likely have some really crappy pieces of equipment that you paid big bucks for and CyberPowerPC didn't send you the correct product.

If you go to other websites around the Internet they make it clear on what product you will be buying. CyberPowerPC deceive their customers.

CyberPowerPC advertised a NVIDIA 512mb 8600 GT. They sent me an OEM version. If you look around the internet you will find that every website, other than CyberPowerPC, makes it clear what version of the card you are getting. The version they sent me didn't have dual DVI outputs and they keep stating they sent me a product with Dual DVI outputs.
The card has 1 DVI and 1 VGA.

Check your computers. Let me know if they have mislead you. I want to pursue a class action lawsuit against this company. Look at their BBB rating. Last time I checked it was an F!

If you can post with feedback that will help to get this lawsuit on its way and get your money back.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CyberPowerPC class action lawsuit. It may involve you.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CyberPowerPC class action lawsuit. It may involve you.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not othe only company..
by Raistlin347 / January 23, 2008 4:59 AM PST

ya I did alot of research about boutique builders and cyberpowerpc is one that you can't trust. Worse is IBUYPOWER.com, half the customers receive their computers with none of the wires connected.
If you want high customization on your pc, basically the only boutique builders you can trust are Velocity Micro, AVADirect, Puget Systems, MainGear, and Falcon-NorthWest. Out of those AVADirect gives cusotmers the MOST options, and of course there's VooDoo, but not alot of people can afford their computers.

Collapse -
What usually happens here is
by Dango517 / January 23, 2008 9:05 PM PST

that some Law firms get really rich and you get hosed. Think I'm kidding Happy

This thread untracked

Collapse -
Regarding class action money
by freaknyea / January 23, 2008 10:11 PM PST

I could care less if I don't receive any money... I just want CyberPowerPc to go down.

Collapse -
I think to date I've been in four of those
by Dango517 / January 23, 2008 10:29 PM PST

In the general consumer suits I received little over a dollar. The lawyers made $50,000,000.00+ for each and the companies are still in business. Who made out here? The truth is we should sue "class action law suits", of course we can't but the laws need to be changed so that the people harmed get the money and not the lawyers. Again, I'm not kidding.

Still not tracked, just passing by and saw your post.

Collapse -
CYBERPOWER PC = BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by thepurplem0nkey / September 1, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

I know this thread is a little old, but it pops up when I search for "cyberpower review" and I want people to read it:

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!
I ordered my computer in June and it arrived in July. The computer worked fine for about 4 days, until it began shutting itself off and restarting randomly. I started troubleshooting and eliminating possible issues and determined that the most plausible problem was a faulty hard drive. I contacted Cyberpower technical support and they agreed to ship me out a new hard drive. So far, so good, right? Well the problem is they never included the Windows 7 Pro cd in my original packaging?.the operating system I PAID FOR?..which I discovered when I went to install the hard drive. No problem, I thought, these things happen, I make mistakes too. I?ll just call them up and tell them they goofed. After all, it?s in their records that I bought this; I legally own a license (they plastered it to the side of my case). What could go wrong?
I just got off the phone with this company and they told me ?We don?t send out free cd?s after 7 days of receiving the shipment?. So basically, their technical solution to fixing their faulty hardware was to take my hard drive that had Windows 7 installed on it, and in return send me a nice fat BRICK. Yes?you read that right?their technical solution to fix my new computer was to send me a HD but NO operating system, then basically tell me to ef-off once I realized they never sent me the Windows 7 CD. So due to the faulty hardware that THEY sent me, and due to their NOT INCLUDING the CD in my packaging to being with, they now expect me to buy the cd AGAIN. What really gets me is Natalie, the ?customer support? (Ha!) supervisor, told me ?Well, sometimes we do forget to ship cds?, but still, you agreed to our warranty that states that you must inform us before 7 days are up?. Now there?s some classy customer service for you. Admit you make mistakes, and that this was probably one of them, but don?t offer to rectify your OWN ERROR or offer any service to the customer.
BUYER BEWARE! The customer support here is laughable, the technology they sent me DID NOT WORK, and they are scammers pure and simple. I paid good money for Windows 7 and a working computer yet I received NEITHER from Cyberpower. I?m going to post this on every single message board and informational web site that has anything remotely to do with Cyberpower PC. I want people to find THIS POST when they search for Cyberpower before considering buying one. If Cyberpower wants to charge me for something I already paid for, that they never included in my shipment, then that?s fine: if just ONE person reads this and decides NOT to go with this HORRIBLE company, then that $1,000.00 or more they would have spent on this shady company will far outweigh the money they tried to extort from me to purchase an OS I already bought, that they never included, and that was on the hard drive I sent them in exchange for a new one?.you know. To fix the faulty hardware they sent me to begin with. I sure hope Cyberpower staff are reading this and realize that their incompetence and lack of customer service may have netted them 70 bucks from scamming me out of an OS, but it may also cost them much more in sales once people read this message. Good thinking there, Cyberpower!
ONE LAST TIME: CYBERPOWER PC SELLS FAULTY TECHNOLOGY AND THEY ARE SCAMMERS! THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS LAUGHABLE! BEWARE!

Collapse -
response to thepurplem0nkey
by CyberHD_tech / September 1, 2010 10:32 AM PDT

We do apologize for the issue. No wrong doing was committed from Cyberpower. The issue with the harddrive was rectify, a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number was immediately issued and the replacement was out to our customer. Regarding the recovery discs, the original invoice date was June 4, 2010, it was by Sept 1, 2010, nearly 2 months after receipt of the system the recovery disc was reported missing. We have explained multiple times that any missing items must be reported with 7 days of receipt of the system, stated directly from our warranty. Our representatives all listen and calmly explained the situations but our customer was rude, uncooperative and abruptly hung up on representatives. As courtesy another representative contacted the same day to attempt resolve the issue, but was utterly uncooperative and unwilling to discuss reasonably.

Once again, we tried to clarifying and politely discuss the matter to offer a conclusion but no reasonable conversations were possible. Even though no fault was founded by Cyberpower, we can replace the missing item for $25, but due to the convenience, as a once time offer, the shipping will deduct if accepted. Please notify us asap if you would like the replacement. You can also email directly to CyberHD.tech@cyberpowerpc.com

Collapse -
CP = Beware, beware, beware
by SalanIsMe / September 7, 2010 2:49 AM PDT

Hi CyberHD

Busy morning for you. It is not easy to delete numerous posts on your own forum and then go to others and spread the bull. I don't think that you can delete my post here so here goes.

I have been a member of the CP forum for over 2 years with over 3,100 posts. I love computers and people and for a long time tried to help those who ordered CP rigs and had problems. I have watched a lot of good good people go through the forum and be driven away by the CP mods because their posts were not of the fan boy variety. So I don't go back much any more because what is the use. People will still get bad computers, member posts deleted, and some members banned.

Anyway, IMO based on my time in the trenches. This is just my opinion and what I think.

1.) CP lies to anyone and everyone.
2.) CP uses substandard / seconds ccomponents. They use referbs although they claim that they don't (see 1. above).
3.) CPs building of rigs is spotty. You can get a good build or a terrible one, just roll the dice.
4.) CP does not perform any reasonable QC or QC for the period that they claim. They say they do, but see 1. above.
5.) CP customer service is the worst possible. Although there have been occasions to the opposite, the standard is not being able to get through to anyone and when you finally do receive contempt and bad input. CP does admit that they use referbs to replace defective parts. So if you pay $ 1,000 plus for video cards and they are defective, then you get two referbs. You pay for new equipment but end up with used.
6.) If you need to send in your computer for repair there is a good chance that the problem will not be fixed and an equally good chance that the computer will be shipped back with new problems. Oh yes, it is not unusual to read that people get their rigs back with dinged or scratched cases. By the way, you pay the shipping cost to return a computer for refund or repair. If you bought a rig with free shipping and it does not work, then they deduct the shipping costs from your refund (which drags out for weeks and weeks).
7.) I have to get to work but will leave 7 - infinity out but they are there.

I would say to anyone who reads this that you may or may not believe me, but I think that this is a real buyer beware company. Indeed some people have had good initial experience (computer works out of the box), but that is a risk you should understand and should consider how long the compuer will contine to function.

Best to all.
Alan

Collapse -
Cyberpower: Worst Overall Experience from a Single Company
by screamerpooh / June 17, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Please Beware!!! Don't let price drive your decision. It really isn't worth it in the long run.

I am now 6 months outside the 2-year warranty and I have had (3) faulty motherboards, (1) faulty power supply, (1) bent case (which I never claimed but should have) and (3) faulty video cards (two of which were RMA'd, the 3rd just happened after the warranty expired).

Cyberpower's tech support is incredibly slow to respond, useless, defensive and apprehensive about honoring their warrantied items. Unfortunately, I have replaced virtually everything within this case on my own, re-wired it twice, all the while please keep in mind that this was supposed to be a top-of-the-line gaming machine, tested and assembled by Cyberpower....I've done every ounce of troubleshooting on this machine on my own. It all started when they sent me a computer and forgot to put the screws in the PCI cards before shipping it so they bounced around inside the case. I am amazed this company is still in business. Just the meer fact that there is someone out there that has had this level of service from them should make you cautious.

Beware!!!!! Steer clear of these crooks.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
by Ruzzty40 / August 11, 2011 10:48 AM PDT

I was about to pull the trigger and buy a $1500 Computer from this company. Checked out youtube videos and was so close to grabbing a new PC. But this year I was scammed by Honda (Elite scooter 110) which I bought new, 7 weeks later it wouldn't work. Just like you, the business I bought it from was less than helpful. They would not honor warranty. I suspect criminal behavior and am out $300 and a scooter that does't work. So I ALWAYS check for complaints and you post sounds very sincere and I believe you.

Collapse -
CyberPower reliability
by rockyjohns / August 12, 2011 4:06 PM PDT

One should note that there are only a couple of angry posts here over a period of about 3 years. It's not surprising that there are a few disguntled customers over that period. I rely more on broader customer satisfaction surveys over a few anedotal comments.

CyberPower consistently ranks near the top in the annual PC customer satisfaction survey done by PC Mag. In 2011, they ranked tied for 3rd with HP - behind only Apple and ASUS. They ranked higher than Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Gateway, eMachines and Compaq.

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=294912,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384244,00.asp

Collapse -
You can think what you want.
by Narcosis150 / November 4, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: CyberPower reliability

rockyjohn you might want to rethink what you said if you were the person on the other end of a $3,000 dollar paper weight.
I got my new $3200 massive gaming unit almost a year ago.
4, yes 4 days later bsod massive restarts then dead called got an RMA no prob they even paid for the shipping. "good deal I am getting it fixed" I said no problem it took weeks because they had my video card on back order. but you could still get a new rig with the same card so I said fix it or send a check 1 day later I got a notice of shipment. a few months went by and screen would just go black (30 money back man I should have took that)
the first time the video card and the hard drive were replaced, RMA 2 the video card was replace. RMA 3 the video and memory was replaced. ok now I have 3 weeks on my warranty and having problems again JOHN what do you suggest I do click your links to see how great they are.
I have been told that I can not get a refund and they said the last time I sent it in hope you get a hold of use right away if something goes wrong.

Collapse -
Actually if you look at those links
by Wyndesong / November 6, 2011 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: CyberPower reliability

If you really look at those links, while Cyberpower is "average" rating for overall score and reliability. What really jumps out at me is the 23% and 25% needing repairs rate, which is worse than average. That's basically 1 out of every 4 they ship there's something wrong with it. How is that reliable? Do you really want to take the chance that you're NOT the 1 out of the 4? Also notice there is no score for tech support and repairs. That really raises a lot of questions in my mind as well. Glad I looked around before buying from them. I'm not getting a $3000 system or anything but I still work hard for my money and rather not get ripped off or even chance it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!