Laptops forum

General discussion

CYBERPOWER fried my laptop!!!! Headsup

by Sharril / March 26, 2005 8:59 AM PST

I have a cyberpower cps140chi, this is a dc/ac converter for your car,plus surge protection so you can use your laptop 24/7 while on the road. Well, it apparently malfunctioned and fried my laptop so bad that nothing from my HD is recoverable...I am of course upset...lost all my data, plus my laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CYBERPOWER fried my laptop!!!! Headsup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CYBERPOWER fried my laptop!!!! Headsup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just asking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 10:39 AM PST

How long have you been using PCs and ... has anyone told you to create a backup of what you can't lose?

Bob

Collapse -
Of course...
by Sharril / March 27, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just asking.

I do backup, but not when on the road. It's not so much the data I lost, thats just annoying. It was my laptop, not a company laptop. I am angry that the failure of a $40 converter/surge protector distroyed my laptop. My message was me venting, and hopefully a warning to others not to trust this equipment and get burnt like me (no pun intended)

Collapse -
What I use on the road. Spiffy USB memory key.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Of course...

I couldn't resist a new 1 GB USB memory key. Between that and the CDRW in the laptop, whatever I lose in my fault.

Your issue is not cyberpower's fault. They in all likelyhood didn't design or manufacture that power unit. My bet is it was some bulk buy from some maker from far away.

Bob

Collapse -
Cyberpower shouldnt
by Sharril / March 27, 2005 6:39 AM PST

Cyberpower shouldn't have put their name on it then. If Cyberpower thought enough of it to put their name on it then they'll have to take whatever bad feed-back that may come along with it. If I knew there was a chance it would distroy my hardware, I would not have used it. I just want to let others know of that chance of failure.

Collapse -
Failures happen. I only hope you can convince them...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Cyberpower shouldnt

To help get the machine fixed.

My point here is that this vendor is not alone in your dataloss issue and it does happen to hundreds of others. How do I know this???

Bob

Collapse -
If you can prove...
by culture_of_one / March 28, 2005 12:59 AM PST

that the unit was defective, then you have a good chance of getting some compensation for your toasted laptop. As long as they've put their name on it, they're responsible--it doesn't matter who built it. Most companies will do the right thing in this kind of situation, so contact them directly and see what they have to say.

Collapse -
contacted cyberpower....
by Sharril / March 28, 2005 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: If you can prove...

I told them what happened, their response was "that if there was a surge of power that the surge would have caused the fuse in the unit to fail before the surge could be passed on to what ever the unit was powering." I do know that the cyberpower unit is still fuctional, the laptop however is not, both the motherboard and the hard drive are both fried. The chances of this occurring without a surge are extemely low. Cyberpower has offered to look at the equiptment though...

Collapse -
APC Paid for my computer once
by Ryan T / March 28, 2005 1:24 PM PST

I wrote a comprehensive, technical letter describing a problem I attributed to UPS failure and APC paid for replacement parts. If you can be convincing, they might compensate you (purchase price or repair price from the manufacturer).

Collapse -
You should remind them...
by culture_of_one / March 29, 2005 5:05 PM PST

that they are only talking about what "should" have happened. "Would" assumes that the unit was not defective.

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Sincerely, JDM

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!