Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

CWShredder question...

I am having difficulty with my CWShredder download... I have taken other's advice, and gone to different sites to download newer versions, and the following is what I get when I try to get updates...

Current version: CWShredder v1.59.1
Connecting...
Fetching CWShredder update information from merijn.org...
Unable to retrieve CWShredder update information. The server might be unavailable, try again later.

Fetching CWShredder update information from spywareinfo.com...
Unable to retrieve CWShredder update information. The server might be unavailable, try again later.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Brennan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CWShredder question...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CWShredder question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try This

In reply to: CWShredder question...

Collapse -
Re: CWShredder question...

I use CWS and my links show the same thing.

WAG.
The server is down.
The server has moved.
Their on coffee-break.

Best guess,sit tight,I am sure your not the only one having this problem.

Collapse -
Goodbye CWShredder?

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

June 28, 2004:
Alright, this will be my last update for a while. I have a lot of things going on that are not spyware-related in the next few months and frankly I find these more important than the spyware-related issues. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I simply don't have the time to do both at the same time. I hope you'll understand.

July 1 2004, I will be graduating from the University of Utrecht and receive my Masters Degree in Science (chemistry, specifically).

September 1 2004, I will start a second study at the same university. I'm not sure what the English name for this study is (in Dutch it's Informatiekunde) but it's in the Computer Sciences field.

Right now, my email inbox is overflowing with over 2700 emails which I can't possibly answer all. These 2700 are two-thirds of about 4000, the remaining one-third being spam and email viruses which I've already deleted. (For god's sake people, get some decent antivirus protection, that's nearly 1300 emails from Windows systems infected with email spewing trojans.)

I will not be able to respond to your email anytime soon! Here are my answers to the majority of emails I've gotten so far:

Q. Can you look at my HijackThis/StartupList/CWShredder log?

A. No, pick a link from the list of forums that can help you interpret your log and ask for help there.

Q. CWShredder isn't fixing my problem!

A. While it's been easy and even fun keeping CWShredder up to date, the recent variants are a living hell. The people who wrote the latest variants of the trojan surpass the older variants by far.
- Resident DLLs from the about:blank, res://xxxx.dll or invisible variants cannot be removed by CWShredder or HijackThis.
- Variants like f0r0r that are protected by Hacker Defender cannot be removed by CWShredder or HijackThis.

Q. When will CWShredder be updated again?

A. It won't be again, probably. I have a few bugs to fix, but after that there's not much left to do - I simply do not have the tools to remove the latest variants, they are too agressive or complicated to allow automated removal by CWShredder.

Q. I would like to mirror one or more of your programs on my website.

A. You have my express permission to mirror any of my programs, as long as they are not altered and offered as freeware.

Q. I would like to distribute one or more of your programs with a magazine, or on a compilation CD.

A. You have my express permission to distribute any of my programs, as long as they are not altered and offered as freeware. If you wish to distribute CWShredder or HijackThis, please include a note urging the user to check for updates first. If you wish to distribute HijackThis, please also include a note to copy the executable to the harddisk first to allow for proper backups to be made.

Q. When I run HijackThis, I'm getting an error mentioning 'modBackup'.

A. When HijackThis fails to create or restore a backup, it's because one of the files it attempts to move/overwrite/delete is locked, which means it's running. Try repeating the fix from Windows in Safe Mode.

Q. When I run HijackThis, I'm getting an error mentioning 'modMain_LoadSettings'.

A. This is an error specific to Asian Windows systems (Korean, Chinese, Japanese). Version 1.98 of HijackThis should fix this error, which is in beta right now and will be ready soon. (Yes, it's been in beta for a heck of a long time, but this last bug is hard to work out.)

Q. I can't reach SpywareInfo, or I can't update CWShredder/HijackThis from the internal updater!

A. SpywareInfo has been down shortly due to another Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. It's up right now. Should you experience the same problem again sometime, be patient. The webhost hosting SpywareInfo is very good at defending us against attacks, but it's not free. Any support will be greatly appreciated!
Also, CWShredder attempts to get update information from Merijn.org (which is dead right now due to prolonged DDoS attacks), and attmpts to get the same update information from SpywareInfo when the first attempt fails. You might have to wait 30 seconds for the first check to timeout.
Lastly, some trojans block your computer from contacting the SpywareInfo website. Try contacting the site from a different, non-infected computer and transfer software between the two computers with a CD, floppy disk or USB memory stick.
Collapse -
Re: CWShredder question...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.