General discussion

Cut-offs when using Skype

Hi everyone!
I have been using Skype for a long time, and have had continuous problems with unexpected cut-offs.
Lately I thought I had resolved my problems when I un-installed my Wanadoo (Internet connection) kit and created a manual connection.
My connection works fine but I still get cut-offs when using Skype.
I usually need to reboot my computer when this happens, and it seems my system has some programmes still running in the background, as windows pop up on my screen asking me to close the programme still running.
Today I was able to spot 3 messages:
1 - gcasServ.exe
2 - gnotify.exe
3 - connections Tray
# 1 is related to Microsoft AntiSpyware I installed yesterday
# 2 is related to my Gmail notifier
# 3: I haven't a a clue about this one
My Operating System is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
My Modem is: SAGEM VVB ATM port v2.1.6
Could anyone help me find a solution?
I'm really at a loss as to what to do....
Thank you!
Happy Marie H.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cut-offs when using Skype
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cut-offs when using Skype
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried Firefly? available from freshtel.com.au
Regards

- Collapse -
Thank you Tathraman!

No I haven't, but I'll look into this programme you refer me to.
Happy Marie

- Collapse -
Marie, Please Try...

....ALL of the steps in the links below. It will stop most of the conflicting programs that are running in the background:

First, recognize that it's NOT a requirement to run the new Microsoft Antispyware in the background. Currently, I have "gcasServ.exe" UNCHECKED in "msconfig/System Configuration Utility". It's your choice as to whether you want it running in "realtime protection" mode. If you want it that way, fine, but the program is a "beta" program. You may choose to disable it at start up.

Next...For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Next, if you "upgraded" to SP2 from SP1 or earlier, then follow the steps below:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

If you haven't checked your computer for spyware, please use ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware">http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/]Ad-Aware

- Collapse -
Thanks for the detailed reply, Thomas!

... I read the links you refer me to BEFORE I posted my question (in another post you wrote), and even did an Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag.
I will try the procedure again, though, in case I missed out a few things.
What worries me though is that after I read the error messages (the 3 I mention in my post) and although I DISABLED Microsoft Anti Spyware AND my Gmail notifier when using Skype, I got the same problem again... Sad
But this has been "bugging" me for too long now, I want to get to the bottom of it, so I'll try until I find a solution!
Thanks again for all the help, I'll get back to you and let you know how it went.
Happy Marie

- Collapse -
Start-up List
- Collapse -
Marie, Start Up Program Suggestions...

Using the screen shot you supplied, here are some suggestions on which items you can uncheck in "msconfig". I would leave all the rest CHECKED except for the suggestions below:

Cdaengine0400: This is the Wild Tangent online gaming package that is installed by a number of third party applications and even OEMs, ISPs and AIM. The games aspect of this is really rather cool. The being installed without you asking for it isn't cool at all. Some spyware removal tools consider it spyware but you need to be careful when removing it. If you use the games provided by the program, leave the item CHECKED. If you don't, then you can UNCHECK the listing or you might consider uninstalling it using the link below:

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/245-p1.php

Smtray.exe: SoundMax audio tray icon. The SoundMax panel can be accessed in the Control Panel. The system tray icon isn't necessary. I uncheck it.

Jusched.exe: This is the Sun Java automatic update scheduler.. Personally, I prefer to update my Java manually. You can eliminate this particular entry from "msconfig" by opening the Control Panel, double click on the "Java" icon, then click on the "Update" tab and UNCHECK the box next to "Check For Updates Automatically".

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thank you for the suggestions!

I'll implement them right away!
I can't wait to be able to check the (favourable) impact on my Skype "issue"...
Thank you very much for your help Grif!
Happy Marie

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Marie, Good Luck...Hope It Helps !
- Collapse -
Not so lucky, alas!...

... I followed the procedure and got rid of the "parasites"....
Yet I still get cut off! Sad
The only programme still running when I reboot my computer is "Connections tray", whatever this is.
Any idea?
I can live with it, but it's really annoying both for me and my interlocutor!
Happy Marie Still Hoping....

CNET Forums

Forum Info