Question

Cut directory, files are lost

I tried to cut a directory with files and paste it to another drive. After paste, there is a directory with the given name, but it is empty, no files. Searching for deleted files in the original and the new location gives no results. This problem can be recreated on my PC, but it works on other PCs. I use a AMD 8core PC with Win8.1, 64bit with all updates available. Any ideas where the files can be? I understand "cut" means to mark the files "delete", but they still need to be there as deleted files and should be recoverable.....i can find no trace of any file.
Thanks for any hint
Horst

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cut directory, files are lost
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cut directory, files are lost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Duplicate posting?

In short, COPY and paste.

- Collapse -
Yes, duplicate post.

The first post did not give a clear status, so i posted again.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: cut directory

As Bob says, you shouldn't do that: cut and paste. Not even files.
There are free and paid programs that do some undelete. For example Recuva. Those programs are your only change to recover them, if you don't have a backup.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info