Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Cut and Paste functions not working consistently

by Abundicore / May 4, 2012 9:10 AM PDT

I have a Dell Studio 1558 with Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit. For some unknown reason my cut and paste functions are not working consistently.

Control C and Control V are working sporadically and I'm having the same problem with right clicking and choosing the copy and paste functions. If I click "cut" the text disappears but I can't paste it anywhere.

I've searched online for a solution and completed various diagnostics and can't figure this out.

What can I do to restore these functions?

Abundicore has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cut and Paste functions not working consistently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cut and Paste functions not working consistently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Abundicore

Collapse -
(NT) Is Skype installed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes Skype Is Installed
by Abundicore / May 4, 2012 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Is Skype installed?

I've had Skype installed for a long time, however I am not always signed in. I am experiencing cut and paste problems without being signed in to Skype.

Collapse -
Skype did update recently.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes Skype Is Installed
Collapse -
Problem still not solved
by Abundicore / May 5, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

I appreciate your suggestion Bob. Although I had "Skype Click to Call" installed on my computer is was not enabled. I uninstalled it, rebooted my computer and unfortunately, I still can't cut or copy and paste.

Collapse -
Then you need to share more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

There are antivirus suites that have broke copy paste in the name of privacy protection. Skype is about 50% or better the culprit today but the others are from a list a mile long. Keep telling more about what's running, installed and we may spot it.

Again, you may not have changed a thing as these apps auto update.
Bob

Collapse -
antivirus
by Abundicore / May 5, 2012 12:03 PM PDT

I had avast antivirus installed and after running a deep scan that turned up nothing, I uninstalled it since I couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I could install another antivirus program to double check. I just installed Microsoft Security Suite and am currently doing a full scan on my computer.

I use both Chrome and Firefox as browsers depending on what I'm doing. I read somewhere that Java could be interfering with cut and paste functions. Is this true? If so, is it best to uninstall Java completely and test the cut and paste functions to see if this is the problem.

I'm open to trying anything that might work as long as it doesn't create more problems. My tech knowledge is limited so I would appreciate detailed steps on what I can do to solve this problem.

If you can tell me what other types of programs could be causing the problem I can tell you more about what I have installed. Otherwise, I don't know where to start.

Collapse -
And if I listed all the causes I've encountered
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: antivirus

That's a sip from a fire hose and won't help. Please tell us what apps are installed and running.
Bob

Collapse -
Cut and Paste Problem Solved
by Abundicore / May 7, 2012 8:46 AM PDT

Bob, I'm sorry I didn't reply to your last response. For some reason, I didn't get an email when you posted it and I just saw it now.

After doing more searches online and reading about Advanced System Care being a possible cause, I chose to uninstall this software and now my cut, copy and paste functions work perfectly. Yahoo!!!

I appreciate you trying to help me out.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

ASR is not highly thought of. Go ask Carol in the Spyware forum for another dousing.
Bob

Collapse -
Cut & Paste problem resolved.
by donpowerme / May 21, 2012 7:06 AM PDT

I'd been searching Google unsuccessfully for a remedy to my cut & paste problem. Was about to do a system restore then I found this forum thread. I just uninstalled Advanced System Care and now my copy & paste is working again. Weird, but THANKS! I didn't realize how much I used copy and paste until it was gone!

Cheers!
@donpower

Collapse -
Adv Sys Care Smart Ram is not the whole problem
by schuse / May 28, 2012 4:02 AM PDT

I just remembered that I clicked on "Clean Clipboard" within Smart Ram. I have unclicked it now and my Copy/Paste works again. I guess it was cleaning almost everytime after I clicked it.

Collapse -
Advance System Care smart ram settings.
by webdev0604 / October 1, 2012 4:27 PM PDT

I Followed your advice about ASC and the smart ram cleaner settings; I unchecked the clean clip board box under settings and cut and paste works again.
Great work on the problem solving.
Thanks,
Webdev0604

Collapse -
where is it?
by ultraultimated / August 15, 2014 1:19 AM PDT

where to find advanced system care?

Collapse -
Please don't look for it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: where is it?

As I have personally helped folk restore their PC after use, I can't write nice about this one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.