Question

Customize Alienware m17x vs Asus g73jw-A1

OK I got a offer from a guy for a alienware for 1400 bucks and his laptop seems the best of the best... but in 2008 since i think his ati graphic card was produce back then. also to let you know that his graphic card supposly got updated to direct x11 but that what he says so i need a professional idea. But I am considering the Asus for 1100 bucks. here are the specs

Alienware

INTER CORE 2 QUAD EXTREME PROCESSOR QX9300

1TB HARD DRIVE 2X 500 GIG 7200 ATA DRIVE

2 GIG ATI RADEON MOBILITY 4870HD WITH CROSSFIRE!!

8 GIG DDR3 1333 MHZ RAM

1920 X 1200 RGB LED TRUE LIFE DISPLAY THE BEST YOU CAN GET.

BUILT IN WEBCAM WITH HD CAMERA

UPGRADED 2X2 WIRELESS NETWORK CARD

BLUETOOTH

CD/DVD WITH BLUE RAY!!

UPDATED BIOS

NEW CHARGER AND BATTERY!!

STEALTH BLACK

BACKLIT KEYBOARD

COMES WITH MICROSOFT OFFICE 2011 PROFESSIONAL

Now here is the Asus
Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets
1TB (500G 7200RPM x2) HDD; Blue-Ray Disk Combo Drive; 802.11 b/g/n
Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; 2.0M Webcam; Gaming Backpack and Mouse;EAX 5.0 Sound Thx True Sound

Seems his resolution is higher and mention a led true life display what ever that means and he has a 2gb card but a older version. Either wait his processor is not a I7 but anyways which is best for just gaming for max setting power?
<div>
</div>

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Customize Alienware m17x vs Asus g73jw-A1
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Customize Alienware m17x vs Asus g73jw-A1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Ouch.

A 3 year old gaming laptop? That's bad news. Gaming laptop age poorly and you discover why they are selling it later.

No sale.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Pass

I'd pass on this. My general rule is to never keep a computer longer than 3 years. Buying a 3rd old machine is not a good idea...let alone something that was run hot for extended periods.

Go with something new. As you know, 3 years in computers is like a decade in most other products.

best of luck.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit out signature link which is prohibited in these forums. on 06/09/2011 at 12:37 PM PT

CNET Forums

Forum Info