Samsung forum

Rant

Customer Service, how Samsung could improve

by NorrineLK / May 2, 2014 12:56 AM PDT

I have just gone through over 2 weeks of trying to communicate with Samsungs's customer service about a problem with a device still under warranty, and I want to make some suggestions that I think would greatly could improve their customer service.

This is just from my point of view, and there may be reasons Samsung does things the way they do. But as a big company with a lot to think about, maybe some of these details have been overlooked.

1. Samsung is a huge company and sells out of many different countries and there is different policies in each country. It would probably save both customers and Samsung's customer service a lot of time if the webpage directing people to customer service was equipped to recognize the origin of the IP and ask customers if they want to be directed to the customer service for their own country, or if there was a drop down menu that required customers to pick their country, similar to the one that asks customers to pick a product category. I wasted a lot of time (both mine and Samsung's customer service) communicating with customer service in the USA, and following their directions on how to get a download that would fix my problem, when the download in question is only available to customers in the USA and not in Canada. That services available are often country specific is not obvious to someone who has not previously had a customer service problem.

2. There seem to be several different webpages directing people to a different ways of requesting customer service. It would be helpful if there was just one webpage that directs people to customer service, and that gives people the choice whether they prefer to communicate in writing through emails, live chat, or over the phone. If someone feels they can communicate most clearly in writing, or over the phone, or in live chat, it seems it may be better if Samsung then stayed with that method of communication, unless specifically asked to change this. Allowing customers the option to change their preferred method of communication as discussions continue would also be helpful. If Samsung decides it would be easier to discuss something using a different method than the customer has chosen, they should ask first if this is OK, and get permission to proceed. Getting an unexpected phone call out of the blue in response to a complex technical problem can be confusing. Confused customers are more difficult to deal with.

3.The email form to request customer service could be a bit more directive. Maybe having a first section where customers were asked to briefly explain the problem in 500 words or less, a second section to include more detail, and a third optional section to comment on how they were feeling about the service so far, would make it easier for customer service workers to sort through to the essentials, and deal with problems with customer service not the product.

4.Most of Samsungs customer service agents in Canada seem to have been trained to restate the customers problem as they understand it, at the beginning of each communication. This is really helpful and lets customers know they have been heard and the response is based on the facts they presented. However when I was mistakenly communicating with customer service in the USA, I noticed this was not done, and I just received various customer service agents opinions. Often leaving me wondering if they understood the problem or if they had even read the email explaining it. It would save Samsung's customer service a lot of time if everyone learned this technique of letting customers know their situation was understood.

5. Samsung give customers discussions numbers as reference to the particular situation being discussed, but usually different customer service people seem to pick up the discussion where the last left off, and often each customer service person see the situation a little differently and gives different advice. It may work better if customers can choose to stay with the same customer service representative, with the understanding they may have to wait a bit longer for a reply from that specific person. Alternatively, it would also help if customers could request another customer service person, if they were willing to include more details about what specific expertise was required along with the request for a change.

6. At the start or end of a conversation, it would be helpful if Samsung's customer service representative made sure the customer knew the name of the person they are talking to and how to get back to them. Just a first name and number would be fine. But some way of referring back to the person would make customers feel a lot more secure in their communication. Customers that feel more secure are more likely to be calm and patient.

7. When something cannot be resolved immediately or the customer service person needs to refer this to some higher authority, it would be helpful to let the customer know the name of the person they were talking to (Sheila 346 department XXX) and the name of the person the situation would be referred to (Bob 529 in department XXX), how to contact both of these people, and how long they should expect to wait before someone got back to them. Customers who know what to expect, and have these realistic expectations met, tend to be more secure, trusting, cooperative, and are probably easier to deal with in the long run.

8. If the situation is something that is common, it would be helpful if customers knew what the general process of resolving this is, why it needs to be done that way, and why it can only be done in the time frame given. Again, customers that feel secure, know what to expect, and feel the response is reasonable and timely, are a lot more likely to be calm, patient and cooperative.

I hope these suggestions help.

Frown the responses I have received from Samsung I am inclined to think they do care, but they are a huge company with many different products, no 2 situations ever exactly alike, and no predetermined policy on how to respond is ever likely to be exactly right to each situation, and the customer service agents do not have authority to make decisions that do not have a clear precedent in established policies. This is also complicated because not all customers are reasonable or have valid complaints.

But that being said, I have found Samsung's customer service to be extremely disconnected, inconsistent and unpredictable. IMO there is a lot of room for improvement. In the long run, I think these suggestions would make save everyone time, build positive trusting relationships and customer loyalty, and make Samsung's customer service better for everyone.

Maybe other people can to add to this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Customer Service, how Samsung could improve
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Customer Service, how Samsung could improve
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this about Heartbleed and such issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 1:22 AM PDT

The Heartbleed issue has been a great example and test of something I've pondered as I saw a wave of tablets and phones without any apparent thought of support past a few months. Most agreements don't extend to flaws in the OS and are following the same path as say Dell did with their products.

Let's look at this again. Samsung made a device, used Google's OS and doesn't own the OS and may rely on Google to fix and maybe even issue a fix.

There's something wrong with the system here.
Bob

Collapse -
was talking about customer service generally not my specific
by NorrineLK / May 2, 2014 3:42 AM PDT

Bob, I created this topic as a place to make suggestions about Samsung's customer service generally, not my specific problem.

I will respond to your comments about my specific problem, in the thread where this was discussed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?