Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

customer forgot xp password

by Mark G / November 26, 2003 3:04 AM PST

is there anything we can do to get into system

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: customer forgot xp password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: customer forgot xp password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:customer forgot xp password
by David Chan / November 26, 2003 3:22 AM PST

Have you tried logging on as Administrator and access the PC?

Or...

Slave the HDD to an XP PC and extract the files and then reformat and start over.

Collapse -
Re:if it's the administrator who lost it :-(
by jonah jones / November 26, 2003 3:25 AM PST

there is a program called 'snadboy revelation' it worked on win98, it may work on XP too...

Collapse -
snadboy is no-go on XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 3:34 AM PST

Great idea, but D.O.A. for this one.

Bob

PS. Of course I would hope to be wrong, but fear not.

Collapse -
NTsnadboy is no-go on XP....true :-(..i just tried revelation2 as well...
by jonah jones / November 26, 2003 5:46 AM PST

Collapse -
Mark, i found these
by jonah jones / November 26, 2003 5:02 AM PST

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD
: 2- press enter to start setup
: 3- press F8 for the license agreement
: 4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so
: 5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing
: devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until
: it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt.
: 6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command
: prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks
: and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the
: regular control panel in 2000.
: 7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply
: settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that
: just setup is running again.
: 8- let the inplace upgrade finish

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

There is no native Windows-based method for changing the Administrator password if you've forgotten it. The best solution available is to boot your computer with a special Linux-based floppy disk, which will allow you to change your Administrator password.

This disk may be downloaded from the Web at

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html.
If the utility asks for a registry path, it is usually winnt/system32/config. Depending on where Windows is installed, you can also try windows/system32/config, windows/system, or simply windows.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/index.html
(15 day free trial, may help)

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / November 26, 2003 7:30 AM PST

Mark,

You can either try what is suggested here http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBD/tip1900/rh1984.htm

or you can try the old NT Trick located here
http://www.jsifaq.com/subb/tip0500/rh0554.htm (this makes use of the scheduler to allow the change

or you can also try this one:
http://www.jsifaq.com/subd/tip1800/rh1864.htm

BEFORE doing anything though try booting to the ADMINISTRATOR user and trying a blank password (lots of time this was set up without a password)
Try pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del twice at the welcome screen to gain access to this Administrator logon.

Collapse -
Before you attempt any suggestion, ask this question...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 7:35 AM PST

"Have you ever done this before?"

The three methods I proposed are the exits I have used. The methods are solid and work within known limitations. Limitations? The file and settings transfer wizard does not transfer programs...

The other methods are known, but I have not witnessed them working.

In short, when dealing with customer data, always play it safe.

Bob

Collapse -
by mpacey / November 26, 2003 8:50 AM PST

The same thing happened to me, and I just used my "Windows XP Password Reset" Floppy.

Presto!

Maybe your customer made one, and forgot about it. (I almost did).

I can't even remember where I made it from, but I believe it was part of the XP installation procedure.

Collapse -
solution for xp password recovery
by mksdarling / November 25, 2009 2:37 PM PST

Hi the simplest way is to log into safe mode by pressing f8 while booting. then it will not ask for passwords. go to your account and change the password or remove it. now again restart and boot in normal mode. every thing will be fine now.

Collapse -
Besides the obvious
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 4:37 AM PST

of posting to a discussion that is now 6 years old, (why would you do that?), how does your method work?

Pressing F8 does what? It gets you into the Safe Mode list of options. Guess what, if all your accounts have passwords, then in Safe Mode you will still need to enter a password to log in.

Mark

Collapse -
old lap top
by dcheyanne43 / November 26, 2009 10:49 AM PST

I have forgot my pass word to my lap top, it a presario by H.P. Model # PP2210 can you help me. I purchassed my lap top in 2004.

Collapse -
See post 6 re NTPASSWD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: old lap top

You are posting to a 2003 discussion. Try not to dredge up the old posts like this but NTPASSWD has improved and is a good FREE solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.