Desktops forum

General discussion

Custom-Built Computer Parts

by Selwyn / October 6, 2004 5:40 PM PDT

Hi. I'm going to be building a custom computer in a few months, built for gaming (mainly RPGs and RTS's, so I don't need anything too fancy), and all the other normal computer tasks. I was thinking about getting these parts, and I was wondering what people think about them, or anything I should change. This is my first time building a computer, so help would be appreciated. Here's what I'm thinking:

Case: DYNAPOWER ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with 430W Power Supply, Model D58-BK

Motherboard: Intel D865PERL i865PE Chipset

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.26 GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - Retail

Memory: Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM

Video Card: NVIDIA FX 5500 256MB AGP

Floppy Drive: NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive, OEM

CD-ROM Drive: Samsung Black 52X CD-ROM, Model SH-152AEBUB, OEM

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP0802N, OEM Drive

Wireless Adaptor: NETGEAR MA111

The Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 requires 250W minimum power supply. In total, I tallied it up, and the whole computer requires 335W supply. My uncle (who's very good with computers, and has built many many ones) said that I should have 50% more power supply than I need, just in case, which would mean I need to take out the 430W supply and put in a 500W or 550W. Is this necessary?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Custom-Built Computer Parts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Custom-Built Computer Parts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I add 100 Watts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 10:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Online Wattage Calculator
by Selwyn / October 17, 2004 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I add 100 Watts.

Well, I tried an online calculator, and it said the computer would need 235 watts. It seems like the built-in 430 watts in the case should be enough, right?

Btw, the link to the calculator is here:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

I'll write that it's rarely that simple as Tom detailed so well in the articles. We have this problem with the vendors slapping optimistic values on the power supplies plus not revealing what power can be expected from a PSU after it's been in service for one year.

If indeed you were to draw 235 Watts, the a true 430 Watt PSU will be dandy even in a year or two.

Bob

Collapse -
by Selwyn / October 17, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

Ok. Well, I'll try it. Thanks.

One question though: does the monitor add to the wattage you need? I have a monitor that takes up 90W and I was wondering whether I should add that in to the equation.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The monitor has it's own supply...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 8:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) The monitor has it's own supply...
by Selwyn / October 17, 2004 8:33 AM PDT

Oh, ok lol. I figured something like that since the online calculator didn't figure the monitor in.

Collapse -
Re: Custom-Built Computer Parts
by JK654 / October 17, 2004 8:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Selwyn / October 17, 2004 11:55 AM PDT

The reason not to get an Athlon 64 is that I'm building this whole computer on a $400-$450 budget, and an Athlon 64 is just too expensive.

Collapse -
by JK654 / October 17, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

Why such a tight budget? If you increase your budget a bit, you can get so much better performance. Another option instead of an Athlon 64 is a Sempron 3100+. The Sempron 3100+ is basically an Athlon 64 2800+ but with half the cache, and the 64 bit features disabled. A Sempron 3100+ is only around $100. Imo spending around $150 on an Athlon 64 3000+ would be a much better choice than a Pentium 4 or a Sempron 3100+.

Collapse -
Re: DDR400 vs. DDR333 RAM
by Selwyn / October 18, 2004 1:10 AM PDT

One more question, for anyone willing to answer:

When I looked up the D865PERL motherboard (the one I will be using) on Intel.com, I found the Tested Memory page, which can be found here:
http://pentium.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_mem.htm
Anyway, I noticed it seemed to say with a 533 MHz processor, I need DDR333 RAM, rather than DDR400. Is this correct? Just making sure.

Btw, it's a tight budget because I'm buying the computer with Chrismas and birthday money mainly ;).

Collapse -
Re: DDR400 vs. DDR333 RAM
by KyleMAD / October 21, 2004 8:32 PM PDT

Your motherboard can support both. it's jut that the recommended minmum spec ram is ddr333.

Collapse -
by sawdeyk / October 23, 2004 3:31 AM PDT

In looking at what you currently have and seeing that you may decide to upgrade some or all of your system, I would reccommend you replacing your current power supply with one of a larger capacity. You may wish to replace a floppy drive with a superdisk which would give you much more storage and is still backwards compatabile. Also if want to go with a combo drive, the prices are usually very competitive and you get both a DVD and CDROM drive in one (16x DVD/ 52x32x52 CDRW). Whether you decide to upgrade later, or just keep your system as is, your system will require a sufficient amount of power. So unless you want to replace your supply later, get one of a sufficient wattage just in case you do decide to upgrade later.

Also, make sure you have plenty of cooling and ventilation to keep that gaming system working fine.

Collapse -
custom build
by katiephenom / November 8, 2007 1:46 AM PST

totally agree on the cooling. and pretty much everything else you've said.

there's a lot of good custom building sites too.

computerlx.com is what i use for building systems.

Collapse -
I found that connector you were looking for
by wangjiahua / October 6, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

Cindy, is this the thing you were looking for?
www.liangdianup.com/computeraccessories_1.htm
It's on the list of computer accessories and parts. They have the DVI video thing to convert that *** monitor to work with your other computer. Just about any other kind of wire adaptor, usb connectors, monitor extension wires, ps2 extention wires, and all kinds of female and male swap connectors and things that I think would help your shop. If that above link don't work then goto www.lducompany.com and click on computer accessories. Let me know if that is what you need and give me your email address again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?