Mac OS forum

General discussion

Cursor spontaneously skipping to another location

by dlcole / December 29, 2009 2:19 AM PST

I have a MacBook Pro, aluminum running Snow Leopard, 10.6.2.

When I type something, there are times when my cursor will spontaneously skip to another location. As an example: if I am typing this, the cursor might jump to the subject title area.I have been very careful to not touch the trackpad and still have this trouble. I posted this problem some time ago, but had no help or information about this at all. It is getting quite frustrating and I am hoping that someone out there will have a clue about this and perhaps a solution.

Would greatly appreciate any help with this.
Thanks,

David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor spontaneously skipping to another location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor spontaneously skipping to another location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take it to the genius bar
by rnauth1418 / December 29, 2009 11:45 PM PST

Have you taken it to the apple store? I think that would be the first step, as this seems to be a defective hardware issue.

Collapse -
skipping cursor
by dlcole / December 30, 2009 5:19 AM PST

It's a long trip and I was hoping that It might be something to do firmware that Apple might address, hopefully soon.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it and if it does get worse, I might have to wind up taking the 1 1/2 hour trip to Tampa.

David

Collapse -
Or making a phone call to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: skipping cursor

Apple support

P

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by rebreid / January 4, 2010 6:02 AM PST

Exactly the same thing is happening to me (MacBook Pro / 10.5.8). When I use the cursor to highlight text to be deleted so that replacement text can be entered, the cursor will suddenly skip for no apparent reason, increasing the highlighted area in the process, and deleting way more than the originally highlighted text. This all happens in an instant. I'm a translator, and if I'm not careful to watch out for this happening I can lose whole chunks of text without realizing. It now means that I have to go over relatively simple translations word by word to make sure nothing was accidentally deleted.

I did take it to the Genius Bar about a month ago. Of course I couldn't get the problem to repeat itself on-site, and when I explained what was happening, I was told they had never heard of such a thing and that it was probably due to a problem between the Mac and Office software. Which would work as an explanation if it hadn't happened occasionally with Mail. This is a real problem professionally and I wish Apple would admit there is a problem, and not just with one computer...

Collapse -
Unwanted curser skipping
by dlcole / January 4, 2010 6:07 AM PST

I had posted this problem a few months ago and only got 1 response from someone who had the same problem.
I was hoping that if I/we could find enough folks that have the same problem, Apple/The Genius Bar, would take this seriously.

Thank you for replying and I hope that we can hear from others as well!

David

Collapse -
Re: Unwanted cursor skipping
by rebreid / January 4, 2010 6:17 AM PST

I found this thread through googling because I was so frustrated with this problem today. I came across a bunch of similar problems, but not exactly the same (e.g. happens when the laptop is attached to an external display, cursor skipping randomly over screen whereas mine tends to go up just a few lines, cursor only skipping when airport is searching for a network...). Anyway, I'm going to try getting Apple on the phone this week. The phone techs might have more of an idea than the Genius Bar techs. I will be sure and let you know if anything positive comes out of it. I will also try posting on some of the Mac forums.

Collapse -
Similar issue
by hdh2 / May 25, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

I found this to be the issue recently on my Macbook. It seems to have something to do with me leaning my wrists on the sides of the trackpad (it doesn't even have to be close). I wish Apple would post a solution to this, as I don't have time to take a trip to the Apple Store.

Collapse -
Mouse keys might be set
by centurion48 / May 25, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?