Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cursor keeps floating off to top corner & hard to get back

by tksoso / January 14, 2010 12:18 AM PST

I am looking for any helpful suggestions. My cursor keeps floating to the top right corner and I can't always get it back to where I want it. It's been taking more time- sometimes I have to walk away and come back in a few minutes before I'm able to move it to where I want.

I already changed the cursor speed hoping it would help, but it didn't. I ran spybot, I ran advast, I did a system restore. None of that helped. I thought perhaps it had a few loose threads of wires and have tried holding the wire where it conects to the mouse and that didn't help. My husband and kids just get upset and bang the mouse on the countertop- which also doesn't help. I unplugged the mouse and tried using the laptops mouse keys- but the same thing continued to happen. I then tried using a different mouse- a wireless one- and the cursor still floated off.

The laptop is now 6 years old. I paid $1300 for it new. The computor is a DELL Inspiron 8500 Laptop, Windows XP Home edition, intel Pentium 4. I use it via a router that is hooked up to a desktop. The laptop is always kept plugged in and used to surf, shop, email, ebaying and some gaming.

Please understand that I am kind of green in this area.
So here are my questions.
1. Any suggestions on how to solve the floating cursor problem?
2. If solving the problem requires taking the laptop in and spending $100 or 200, is it worth it considering the computors age? Would it be more prudent to buy a cheap netbook or laptop in the $300 ish range instead?

Thank you for your time, opinions and assistance in helping. It is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cursor keeps floating off to top corner & hard to get back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cursor keeps floating off to top corner & hard to get back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does your Dell have the keyboard mouse ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2010 12:34 AM PST

in the middle of the keyboard covered by a little rubber cap?

If so, the easiest way to restore it is to go into control panel, open the mouse properties, and click ok. That will recenter it for you.

You might also remove the rubber cap and take some canned air and blew out the whole keyboard and then gave the cap a through cleaning.

Also, for disabling the eraser head mouse (leaving just the touchpad active), there should be an option for that in the BIOS.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!
by tksoso / January 14, 2010 2:49 AM PST

OMG!!! I just did what you recommended and so far it's working great!! Thank you so much for lending your time/knowledge to respond to my post. This has been such a frustrating problem for me and was making everything take 10x longer than it should. You've got me smiling! Thanks!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!