Phones forum

General discussion

Current Verizon Customers- Help Me Out

Hello,
We have had Verizon ever since they merged with AirTouch back in the day. Now it's the year 2010 and we have two lines that we want to be smartphones. There's no nice way of saying it, but the cost of data on Verizon is outrageous. They gave us a loyalty discount last time we upgraded a line. Does anyone think that I would be able to talk them down on service if I brought in a quote from Sprint? It wouldn't even need to be matched with Sprint. I would like it to just be a bit lower than the current Verizon prices. We've been happy with Verizon and don't really want to switch. But job situations have made it so that we need to get smartphones and we really can't afford Verizon's current prices. Any advise?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Current Verizon Customers- Help Me Out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Current Verizon Customers- Help Me Out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smartphone data discounts- employer based

In reply to: Current Verizon Customers- Help Me Out

Through some employers you may have a small discount on voice or voice + data. Other than that type of discount the major carriers don't give discounts on data. $30/mo. is the going rate now for smartphones. [are you certain you *need* smartphones? what applications/job requirements=email(?) are you sure of that you couldn't otherwise do without and not instead use one of the $15/month multimedia phones?]

I suggest you look at T-Mobile for an 'everything' plan, or possibly, grabbing Verizon branded smartphones from Craigslist or ebay, then activating with Page Plus prepaid. Could you go with free wifi on your phones only?

Collapse -
I Have Looked at T-Mobile

In reply to: Smartphone data discounts- employer based

I have looked at T-Mobile. The only problem with that is they have no service for the areas that we would travel in. I have also looked into the employer discount. It would be about 13%, so that might help. One of our lines tried the LG Voyager and decided that they need to go smartphone. I need one because I am getting a job as an in-field manager for a company and since the hours can be from 9am to 9pm, my e-mails can't go that long because some of them are urgent.

Collapse -
In that case...

In reply to: I Have Looked at T-Mobile

...why isn't the company paying for your phone service if the 9 to 9 email is all business related(?) Or are you an independently employed contractor working for a particular firm? Most of my friends even employed by relatively small firms have the option to get a work phone/line. YMMV, I suppose, depending on what industry you're in.

If it's just email you are after why wouldn't the non-smartphones that can still read email work? Or do you also want/need apps like MS Office mobile, etc.(?) Just curious.

You definitely won't be getting any discounts on data or voice outside your employer. The big carriers provide more potential coverage/services hence the larger price tags.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.