The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Current 2 host format

by pcgould / March 2, 2007 8:16 AM PST

No offense to any of the hosts, but I think the show flows a lot better with just two people. I think in general a two person discussion allows for greater synergy, especially without a 3rd person attempting to get remarks in whenever possible.

That being said, the show is more enjoyable now than ever!

(p.s. any possibility Molly and Veronica could be fused into one super-host when she gets back to keep the 2 host format?) Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Current 2 host format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Current 2 host format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A duo is dandy, but the trio trumps all
by punterjoe / March 2, 2007 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Current 2 host format

Quixote & Panza - Good
Aramis, Athos & D'Artagnan - Better
Simon & Garfunkle - Good
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Better
Wolfman & Dracula - Good
Tonto, Tarzan & Frankenstein - Better
Peanutbutter & Jelly - Good
Bacon Lettuce & Tomato - Better
Lenny & Carl - Good
Manny, Moe & Jack - Better
Laurel & Hardy - Good
Moe Larry & Curly - Better
I think I've made my point Wink
Anyway, with a trio, the balance of power can constantly shift as the 2 gang up against the one Happy
Rest up Molly, & take care of little baby Cy.

Collapse -
I Miss Molly - The Professional Ranter
by Gadget_Gizmo / March 2, 2007 8:58 AM PST

Actually, I miss Molly's rants. And I'm not kidding. I love her anti-DRM rants and rants in general. Why? One, I'm a ranter, and two, I hate DRM!

Go Molly!

Besides, I like it when Molly and Veronica gang up on Tom. And sometimes Tom fights back. News AND tangents are the key to the show. Both Molly and Veronica go on tangents that keep the show fresh. But Tom's job is to keep the tangents form getting out of control.

I also like it when they hash out topics. And they get three points of view because sometimes one of them will bring up a point that the other two didn't think of. So, I like three hosts.

Get "well" Molly! Even though I disagree with some of what you say (anything Anti-Sony or Anti-Apple. Grrrrr!).

Collapse -
Woahwoahwoah hold the phone.
by Pinkmaltese1 / March 2, 2007 10:13 AM PST

Umm..no offense to your opinion..but I think thats ridiculous. Interruptions and all, BOL is better than any other podcast I have ever listened to. Thats saying something. Even though there are interruptions by other hosts, thats okay. It feels more real and original, like when your with a group of your friends and you all want to talk about your day so you interrupt eachother everyonce in awhile..C'mon. When a host leaves for whatever reason, its like taking a piece of the pie out. I miss really molly! Tom and Veronica are doing well on their own..but really, all three make BOL what it is. If there was just two permenently..regardless of who was thrown out...I wouldnt listen to it. The BOL trio makes the podcast magic. PLEASE dont change it, I love BOL the way it has been since..forever.

Collapse -
by pcgould / March 2, 2007 12:49 PM PST

hmmm, interesting.

While reading over your guy's responses, I came to the conclusion that my main problem is still the lack of "equal opportunity" (so to speak) amongst the hosts and how I believe that can degrade the overall flow and continuity of the show.

I suppose if you compare it to TWIT, for example, the same thing occurs: a few people take charge of the topic at hand with the rest (dare I say majority) sit silently and chime in when they can. But with 3 panelists, instead of TWIT's 6, BOL by nature seems to draw more (negative) attention to the non-active speaker.

Whether you believe its a flaw of the show format or not, I guess thats up and open to your own opinion.

Cheers.

Collapse -
Quiet is not a bad thing...
by Gadget_Gizmo / March 3, 2007 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I heard that Veronica said that she is normally quiet on BOL (compared to TWIT). But it's best that way. For example, sometimes Molly and Tom will be going at it. And Veronica will interject and just put a whole new tone on what they were original taking about. I like that.

If I was on the show, I would let Tom talk the most (lead) because he's a good announcer. Similar to Brian Cooley. It doesn't mean that I couldn't do another show and take the lead. But it just depends on the DYNAMICS of the hosts involved. And IMO, TOM, Molly and Veronica just have good dynamics together. It doesn't matter if Veronica is the most quiet of the three.

If Veronica was to just "take over BOL" and talk more just for the sake of talking more. It wouldn't come across as natural. TWIT is a better environment for that. The hosts are different people. Thus, different dynamics.

Collapse -
It's not as interesting with just 2
by merrybrown / March 3, 2007 12:46 PM PST

It loses some of the pop and spark. They all work really well together and I think hearing from all 3 is critical to the success of the show. They are OK when it's just 2 but it's just not as good.

Collapse -
Yikes no way!
by HighlanderICT / March 4, 2007 7:42 AM PST

I love all three together.

They all add a little something to the show... 224 shows is a sign of success and that success is (mostly) with the three.

Never change a good thing... you can enjoy your preference for the two while Molly is off, but she'll be back!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?