Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Curious....WinXP SP1 users, did you get critical updates

by John Robie / December 14, 2004 6:24 AM PST

today. There are 4-5 new critical updates that became available today that I downloaded to my WinXP SP2 and curious about SP1 users.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Curious....WinXP SP1 users, did you get critical updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Curious....WinXP SP1 users, did you get critical updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A more important question ... I think
by keyhoti2 / December 14, 2004 8:16 AM PST

Why would anyone not yet have SP2?

Collapse -
Yep, but there are
by John Robie / December 14, 2004 11:20 AM PST

a few home user holdouts. Of course some businesses may be still holding out with MS blessings & assistance until what... March.

Which reminds me of a AussiePete from your neck of the woods (OZ) who hasn't posted since last month. He was a poster for 4-5 months giving computer advice and assistance, but was set against installing SP2. Wonder if he has changed his mind. One of the long threads involving him and his disagreement, may be of your interest, as I don't believe you were around before this month:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=39633&messageID=464723

Collapse -
Luddites and their ilk
by keyhoti2 / December 14, 2004 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: Yep, but there are

Hi John,

I see what you mean about AussiePete!

Of course, as I suspected it wouldn't be, his kind of "expertize" is/was not just confined to SP2 and it will never be confined to any particular person or country.

That's why reading some of his "advice" reminded me of the Luddites in England around 1811.

I expect that even as Rome actually burned, there were still some people who believed that if only others had stuck by "the old ways", then Rome would still have been "successful", never mind that it was a failure to change which caused their present plight.

Yes I am new to Cnet forums (computers, for that matter), but I hope to stay around "here" for a lot longer.

If I don't, then it won't be because I refused to change ... but IF I decide to pursue this budding thread, then I had better do it in "speakeasy" (he ended cryptically).

Best regards, Gerry Hiles

Collapse -
:-).........
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Luddites and their ilk

Regards Gerry,
JR

Collapse -
I've been wondering too
by roddy32 / December 14, 2004 11:37 AM PST

Where Aussie Pete was. He just stopped posting one day. Plain

Collapse -
some peeps afraid to update there
by Mark5019 / December 14, 2004 8:40 PM PST

puters because of so called probs. but if there systems clean free of spyware, viruses np

Collapse -
xpsp1 critical updates
by sheilakmcd / December 14, 2004 7:03 PM PST

There were 3 for me--
885836, 885835, 873339

Collapse -
Thanks Sheilakmck. That is what I was
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: xpsp1 critical updates

wondering about... if MS would give it to WinXP home users with SP1. I had assumed they would give it to those certain 'business' that have until March to update to SP2.

I'm surprised you didn't get KB 886185 which pertains to the Windows Firewall. I did, even though I use the free Zone Alarm Firewall. Perhaps the Firewall for SP1 doesn't need an update...MS updates work in mysterious ways sometimes.

Also, there is a non-security update of Outlook Express for WinXP...KB 887797

Collapse -
John and Sheila
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 5:12 AM PST

XPSP1 has "Internet Connection Firewall". XPSP2 has "Windows Firewall". They are two totally different firewalls which is why Sheila did not get the KB886185. That is strictly for "Windows Firewall" in XPSP2. This is the Microsoft KB article if you would like to read it. Grin

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886185

Collapse -
Thanks for the good info Roddy.
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: John and Sheila

SP2 included the new Win Firewall which replaced the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)....so, you are right..he wouldn't normally get the Firewall update that is in KB886185

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is correct John and you are welcome. :D
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
For those that wanted to read KB887797
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: John and Sheila
Collapse -
Also Sheilakmcdf the KB 887797
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 6:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Curious about the statement . .
by Cursorcowboy / December 14, 2004 9:17 PM PST
The Microsoft Windows security updates for December 2004 include several important updates and a critical cumulative update for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1), a component of Windows, [Windows Security Updates Summary for December 2004] or only XP users w/XPSP1 only and not w/XPSP2?
Collapse -
Agree, that is strange....
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 4:01 AM PST

as I have SP2 on Internet Explorer 6 with my WinXP computer.
Maybe IE6 with SP2 already has the update, but those with IE6 SP1 do not.

I still have IE 5.5 on my Win98se computer and the only Critical Update I keep getting is to update to IE 6, which I haven't done.....as of yet.

Collapse -
Don't qvuestion Micro$oft!!!
by Coryphaeus / December 15, 2004 8:32 AM PST

Ve are all knowing, all seeing. You vill update like you've been instructed to do!! Micro$oft does not make mistakes. Micro$oft vill be ze ruler of ze world!!

Collapse -
Gee Wayne,
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 10:58 AM PST

agree, and we both didn't invest our X-MAS money, even a $100 a few years ago, or work for the MSfuerder to become millionaires a few years ago, and be able to buy a few new super laptops to play with or give away this X-MAS.

Collapse -
''Humdinger''!
by Cursorcowboy / December 15, 2004 11:08 PM PST

It's outlandishly written from how I see it as regardless to that opening statement, several of the below listed updates also reference the SP2s. Who know what those educated monkeys mean.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I got three updates with SP1
by GeraldDoyle / December 15, 2004 12:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Problem here.
by Papa Echo / December 15, 2004 3:39 PM PST

My SP2 found the 4 priority undates. Installed. Rebooted for proper installation. The next time I startup my computer, it started in Safe Mode. I reboot and it started in Safe Mode again. Two more times. I have to use System Restore to roll back. Anyone else has the same problem ?

Collapse -
Hi Papa
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Problem here.

There is someone reporting the same issue in the Virus and Securities forum Papa so you are not alone. He/she is going to try and install them one at a time so we can determine which one is causing this and also checking Microsoft to see if it is a known issue. I'll post back here if/when I can find out anything for you.

Collapse -
Update uninstall >> meaningful or not.
by Cursorcowboy / December 15, 2004 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Papa

1. Please read through the information in the article, "WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update (Q241234)" and perhaps use some of the information for troubleshooting.

2. Service packs and hotfixes contain an Uninstall (Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel - click Q###### , click Change/Remove and then follow the instructions that appear or by running the Uninstall program from the command prompt - click Start, Run, type cmd, and then press Enter. Change to the folder C:\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\, where C: is the root of your hard drive, type Spuninst.exe, and then press Enter), which is a feature used to restore a computer to its previous state.

Note: When running the ServicePack.exe program to install, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in the systemroot folder, which is subsequently also used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to replace damaged or changed protected system files. The Hotfix naming convention followed by the extension .exe include the variables:

? Q###### - the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number (for example, 123456)

? XXX is the platform or operating system

? YYY is the service pack level

? ZZZ is the hardware platform

? LL is the language

3. Search using the Find function to locate Spuninst.exe utility that supports the following switches:

? /? Show the list of installation switches

? /u Use Unattended mode

? /f Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down

? /z Do not restart when the installation is complete

? /q Use Quiet mode (no user interaction)

4. For example, to remove a patch in Unattended mode without restarting the system, use the following command:

%windir%\$ntuninstallQ??????$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /u /z

5. The article [Q329260] explains there are three folders created when SP1 is installed and the archive files that contain temporary and archived files used to remove it and the folders that can safely be deleted. This article warns that if the Windows\Servicepackfiles folder is moved or deleted, SP1 cannot be removed in the future.

6. The article [Q296861] describes how to install multiple Windows product updates (for example, critical updates, security patches, or hotfixes) that use Update.exe with only one restart. This procedure does not work howerver for product updates that do not use Update.exe as the installation program. For example, Internet Explorer updates for Windows XP use an INF-based installation instead of Update.exe. As a result, you cannot use this procedure to install multiple Microsoft Internet Explorer updates with only one restart on Windows XP.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Chapter 5: Installing, Uninstalling, and Managing Programs."

b. "How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer (Q875350)."

Collapse -
Tried again
by Papa Echo / December 16, 2004 3:08 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Papa

roddy2,

Thank you for the offer. I tried to download/install the updates again, 4 in one go, and have no problems, although when told to reboot, the SP2 Secrity Center icon disappeared from the system tray and the usual security message appeared at the top left of the screen (I have automatic updates turned off by choice.) However, on next reboot, no safe mode. Maybe there was a corrupted download the first time ?

Collapse -
hopefully that
by roddy32 / December 16, 2004 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Tried again

is what happened Papa. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a cure to this yesterday and other than finding a few others in other forums via googling that also had the problem, never found an answer. The original poster in V&S has not been back yet either. I hope it was just a glitch or a corrupted file as you noted. BTW, I also have "auto" updates turned off by choice and you can get rid of that security notice from the Security Center by going to Control Panel/Security Center. When it comes up, on the left side where it says. "Resources", click the bottom one that says "change the way Security Center alerts me" and either check or UNcheck the appropriate boxes.

Collapse -
So, there really is a little problem.
by Papa Echo / December 17, 2004 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: hopefully that

Thanks, roddy3,

I prefer to have the security warning on, as it is. No problem there. I always check to see whether there is anything new. One day, one of the security programs, e.g. Zone Alarm and AVG 7 may have a hidcup, and I will know. This is usefull when I have auto update and SP2 firewall off.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Papa, have a nice holiday. :D
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 9:30 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Same to you.
by Papa Echo / December 17, 2004 9:36 AM PST
Collapse -
SP1 Users can't use new updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 10:27 PM PST

Or rather, Microsoft was very clear about support of XP SP1. You can find the web site where they stated that patches would not be tested for compatibility with XP SP1.

The simple reason is that the costs to test with a mix&match of patches is costly. Microsoft can't assure that the patch will work on the lesser versions of XP.

Bob

Collapse -
SP1 $ SP2 $ Critical Updates #@?%
by Angela / December 17, 2004 3:27 PM PST

I have not yet jumped into the hothouse and installed SP2 and in fact have turned off my auto update to prevent this from happening. I hear that Microsoft are actually not offering or recinding the SP2 in Australia until the bugs are worked out due the large amount of issues.

I will continue to wait it out a while longer and keep an eye on my system performance and security in the meantime.

Got the 5 (Yes 5) critical or hotfixes yesterday and had to roll my system back today due to freezing and processing problems. I also installed MSN Messenger 6.2 to troubleshoot a problem my sister was having which may have contributed to the problem as it is a very sleazy bundle (spyware and what-not).

Now back to SP1 with pre-existing patches and the only one of the new problems still remaining is speaker/audio playback crackle which may be in no way connected but coincidentally happened at the same time.

For me at least I will sit back a while longer before installing any further updates/patches or service packs until I start reading some good news.

For everyone who does not receive any ill effects congratualtions on having a compatible hardware/software configuration, Yours must be the combination these patches were tested on.

By the way a Very Merry Christmas to all on the forums. I don't get in much anymore but still value the advice given on this forum.

Cheers
Angela

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.