and can deal with 3K+ virus....
just one problem the name escapes me...
i hope someone will "fill in the blanks"
A short while ago I had the privelege of working on my mother-in-law's PC. It was so bogged down with virus /trojan/ worm/ malware that it would NOT boot into Safe Mode, would crash in "Normal" Windows, couldn't connect to the internet, and would even crash when my USB Jump Drive was hooked up to it.
I went through the painstaking steps of copying my ARMY of utilities to CD and loading them one by one onto her PC, manually updating the definitions, and running each tool. It took me hours to do this on her Celeron 1.3, WinXP Home, 128MB E-Machine. But it worked (I have great tools!!!!)
Got another one just like it right now and I don't have hours to spend. Looking for some experienced advice:
1. Is there a comprehensive antivirus that I can run from a disk before Windows starts? -or-
2. Is there a way to make a typical antivirus program work before Windows loads?
3. Is there a way to get my anti-parasite programs run from CD before Windows loads?
4. Would I be better off removing the HDD and putting it in my PC?
5. Should I try to network the PC with my WinXP PC?
6. Can I hook up a USB hard drive to the infected PC, copy the drive, connect the USB drive to my PC and fix it with my already installed tools??
a. How do I get the fixed copy of the PC back onto the PC?
I'd like to help this person but I'm afraid I'm not that efficient. How do I "speed" up my process? Which of my above options is best? Is there a better one?
I appreciate the help everyone. I'm not opposed to purchasing the software or hardware that may be needed to speed my process up, although I'm leaning towards "cleaning" the PC from CD's.