Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cure a half dead PC

by Powlaz / March 18, 2005 3:07 AM PST

A short while ago I had the privelege of working on my mother-in-law's PC. It was so bogged down with virus /trojan/ worm/ malware that it would NOT boot into Safe Mode, would crash in "Normal" Windows, couldn't connect to the internet, and would even crash when my USB Jump Drive was hooked up to it.

I went through the painstaking steps of copying my ARMY of utilities to CD and loading them one by one onto her PC, manually updating the definitions, and running each tool. It took me hours to do this on her Celeron 1.3, WinXP Home, 128MB E-Machine. But it worked (I have great tools!!!!)

Got another one just like it right now and I don't have hours to spend. Looking for some experienced advice:

1. Is there a comprehensive antivirus that I can run from a disk before Windows starts? -or-
2. Is there a way to make a typical antivirus program work before Windows loads?
3. Is there a way to get my anti-parasite programs run from CD before Windows loads?
4. Would I be better off removing the HDD and putting it in my PC?
5. Should I try to network the PC with my WinXP PC?
6. Can I hook up a USB hard drive to the infected PC, copy the drive, connect the USB drive to my PC and fix it with my already installed tools??
a. How do I get the fixed copy of the PC back onto the PC?

I'd like to help this person but I'm afraid I'm not that efficient. How do I "speed" up my process? Which of my above options is best? Is there a better one?

I appreciate the help everyone. I'm not opposed to purchasing the software or hardware that may be needed to speed my process up, although I'm leaning towards "cleaning" the PC from CD's.

Thanks everybody!

Po

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
there is a program that runs on a 1.4 floppy
by jonah jones / March 18, 2005 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Cure a half dead PC

and can deal with 3K+ virus....

just one problem Sad the name escapes me...

i hope someone will "fill in the blanks"

Collapse -
Stinger does SOME of them
by roddy32 / March 18, 2005 3:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Should I try to network the PC with my WinXP PC?
by dawillie / March 18, 2005 10:58 AM PST
In reply to: Cure a half dead PC
Collapse -
Not exactly what I was looking for
by Powlaz / March 19, 2005 4:07 AM PST

The PC is at my house and it isn't real stable when it's "up". Loading the software for PC Anywhere, XP Remote Access, Real VNC etc. would probably crash it.

The best way to do it is to be able to access the sick PC with my PC. This way when I run Ad Aware I have the option to scan the sick PC. Or the PC shows up and I can run a virus scan (maybe by right clicking on the drive that shows in Explorer from that PC) How do computer shops do it?

Po

Collapse -
if you're comfortable with a screwdriver
by jonah jones / March 19, 2005 4:26 AM PST

open up the 'sick' PC, take out the HD and slave it in the 'healthy' PC....

Collapse -
This was more along the lines . . .
by Powlaz / March 24, 2005 9:59 AM PST

of what I was thinking. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to create a set of recovery disks courtesy of the folks at Ultimate Boot CD and Bart'sPE. I need time on my side.

Thanks for the help.

Po

Collapse -
Hi Po
by GreenAdmin / June 20, 2005 6:46 AM PDT

If your looking to remotely administer your computer, I would suggest using a product like logmein.com's Rescue. It allows you to remotely administer you computer without having to worry about traversing firewalls. Additionally, it gives you various tools to monitor the 'sickly' system. Your best bet is to try it now while it's still free (it's in beta) and see how it goes. Otherwise you can try their free consumer version.

Collapse -
Is Rob GreenAdmin a shill ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Po

Look at their posts and it's about 1 software item only.

Bizarre to take the time to post about 1 software title in multiple posts but waffle if they use it.

Bob

Collapse -
Certainly looks like it to me Bob now
by roddy32 / June 21, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

that you have pointed that out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!