Laptops forum

General discussion

CULV processors performance ??

Hi all,
I am having a pretty difficult time finalising a portable laptop Sad

I have just begun a phd in anthropology, and will do lots of word processing, music/movies, internet, and occasional photo editing.
Hence, I was initially confident that I would be able to decide easily between the satellite T235 and the portege R700.

After some initial research I focused on the T235. Here unlike the portege the battery life is pretty good, has a nice keyboard, does not heat, and its acceptably light (I want a less than 2 kg machine).

So what prevents me from finalising this one? This has to do with the low voltage processor which is a CULV U5400 1.2 GHz.
Now my simple query is ? how good is this processor from the point of view of my usage?
What I mean is will the T235 become sluggish if say I am working on the word processor, playing music, downloading through torrents, and have say a couple of applications open while I do this?

Right now, I have a A200 which has only 1 GB RAM and a core duo 2.0 GHz processor. I use this with XP and Ubuntu 10.04 and the speed is pretty much ok for the tasks at hand. Can someone compare the T235 with the A200? That way I would have some idea of the real world performance and not simply a comparison on paper which reveals very little of how the machine will feel in day to day use!

What I would hate is to see the hourglass when I am opening an application/window. The minimum I am looking for is snappy performance where windows and applications open with a minimum of delay.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CULV processors performance ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CULV processors performance ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The performance you write about

In reply to: CULV processors performance ??

Has little to do with the CPU but more to do with the transfer time from the hard disk to memory. Something like 99% of the delay in starting an app is the amount of time it takes to get the program off the hard drive and into memory.

Not a CPU issue.
Bob

Collapse -
so what does it depend on ?

In reply to: The performance you write about

thanks Bob!
so how can i expect to have the T235 perform ?
and if performance has little to do with the CPU, then what does it depend on ?
the time taken to get programs from HDD to RAM - what does this depend on ? and how will the T235 fare in this dept vis-a-vis laptops with i3/ 5 etc processor ?
thanks

Collapse -
We covered that.

In reply to: so what does it depend on ?

Disk to ram transfer speed is too much of the time lost in launching an app. You'll find folk ask why apps launch faster the second time (the answer is "cacheing."

This is a typical dual core pentium. It will perform fine. But why not test drive the machine first? And to compare to the i3/i5 is a tad unfair. You jump the GHz and add Hyperthreading so no contest save the amount of time to launch the app the first time.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.