The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Cuil.com opinions?...

put'em here Wink

for me (having used it just twice) - seems nice, I think the interface is more friendly than Google and is probably heavily influenced by social-network page layouts. Although, I'd have to say I'm far from a convert at this point.

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cuil.com opinions?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cuil.com opinions?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
eh

In reply to: Cuil.com opinions?...

Results were pretty poor. I did a few test searches and found a lot of holes.

Collapse -
its pretty but I'm not convinced its as useful as Google

The sparse layout is sparse and inline images are attractive. But this emphasis on looks also more difficult to quickly scan through all the scruff and get at what I really want. There is a method to Google's madness at keeping everything on their pages dead simple. It lets you get in and out quickly with a minimum of fuss.

I feel the same way about this as I do about News sites only posting stories in video format. Thanks but no thanks. I'll just go find a simple text version somewhere else.

Collapse -
sorry - "the layout is sparse"

In reply to: its pretty but I'm not convinced its as useful as Google

need to be more careful. Maybe Cuil slowing me down a bit wouldn't be a bad thing :-P

Collapse -
Too much icanhascheezburger?

In reply to: sorry - "the layout is sparse"

Typoing minimalist typoes.

Hmm I dunno about cuil. I like it's efficient use of space and that it has thumbnails so you can judge sites by images without even reading.
But I dunno, everyone is used to google, they will need to do more than this to get people to use them. Something revolutionary not evolutionary.

Collapse -
So far...

In reply to: Too much icanhascheezburger?

I'm not impressed. Self-Googling brings up lots more hits than Cuil does, and much faster. You'd think someone would have built a better mousetrap than Google by now, given the heavyweights out there who could devote the resources.

Collapse -
Icanhascheeseburger? Sure. As long as it doesn't have video

with some annoying pre-roll or require yet another plugin they want me to download.

I'll give Cuil a try from time to time but you know what they say about first impressions...

Collapse -
Ahh

I wrote this before I learned of the semantic features. I guess that's a bit more than evolutionary!
I'll watch this guys and see if they can get it working better in next few months.

Collapse -
Still needs work

I tried to squeeze results from Cuil a few times yesterday. My preliminary opinion is it sucks; my searches never loaded, or I got a "no results available" message for search terms that were very broad. I'll give it another try in a few months, but right now it's just not ready for prime time.

Collapse -
Cuil.com opinions?...

Nope but it sound that isn't reliable too much.

Collapse -
I think Cuili is awsome

He has that awesome bearded weirdo look but is actually pretty normal, and he does a great job filling in for Molly on the Buzz report and he always...what...thats not what this is about...oh..nevermind

Collapse -
The photos bother me.

Who is that random elderly woman next to Molly Wood's Wikipedia entry? How the heck do they choose them, anyway? There's an explanation in their About section, but it doesn't actually explain it.

Collapse -
cul.com is the new mahalo

Tried it.
I will be going back to couil as often as I go to mahalo.com to search for something.

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: cul.com is the new mahalo

Mahalo is just as bad of a name.

Collapse -
Uhhh

In reply to: Hmm

Are you sure you meant cul.com?

Collapse -
Not sure

Did some quick tests this morning. Response time good.

I did two specific tests, comparing Cuil and Google. "Hill St. Soul" and "carbon nanotube". The search for the musical group gave no results on Cuil, but the second search gave good results with very relevant categories for refining the search.

Used "Add Cuil to Firefox" link at bottom left of search results to add Cuil to my search engines.

Worth a second look when I need to research a topic.

Collapse -
Ok - I don't see any value in Cuil

I did searches on five different things. And the results are aweful. They are not only in some strange order (fairly new stuff mixed with really old stuff), but the layout is difficult to read and not many on the screen.

So I don't think this has any chance of impacting google. I feel for the VCs that dumped money into this venture.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.